1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BBE BenchPress Vintage Compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gopher Bob, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Ross clones are disappointing on bass IMO.

3. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    thats what I needed to know. thanks!

4. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    Waste of a CA3080.

5. You've tried one already?

6. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    While they aren't bad effects, after a lot of examination I have to say that BBE stomps are pretty wildly overpriced for what's actually in them.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Not disagreeing, but one of the things that struck me the most about BBE's Orange Squeezer clone was that it has at least three times as many components as an Orange Squeezer! No exaggeration--it could have been more like four or five times.

8. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Well, maybe they fell down on the "clone" concept, huh? :smug:

[Does that term mean anything any longer? I guess not.]

That's kind of surprising, as every one of their effects I've popped open was basically nothing, I mean really meager circuits -- though I haven't seen that stomp's guts.

I mean, $180 for THIS?:

BBE2150AD.

BBE is basically pricing on sexy graphics...them and a lot of other brands. :meh:

9. It's funny you say that. I find all their pedals to be pretty ugly. Between that and the fact that I hate the "sonic maximizer", I never took a lot of interest in their pedals. I have heard good things about some of them though, so don't take these statements as me bashing the whole brand.

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    You left out that they smell bad, too.

Those rubber non-skid bottoms smell worse than you can imagine, like the stuff they put in chemical toilets.

11. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    I'd agree mostly, but, at least in European prices, the Opto Stomp is a fantastic compressor for what it costs.

12. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    I love my opto stomp. It is the best bass compressor for a cheapy like myself. Very quiet, does its job well and BBE even fixed mine after some sketchy ebay company sold me one straight defective "pristine condition floor model". They fixed it fast and paid return shipping.

I have never put my nose to the BBE's bottom, not really into that sort of thing. From a normal operating distance there is no smell.

13. M. Owen Santy

M. Owen Santy Banned

Aug 10, 2011
    Springfield, MA
    Michael Tobias Designs Kingston Series & Traynor Amps Artist
    LOVE my Benchpress - just mind that they can be noisy while not playing (just like the old Ross). Some volume knob work or a volume pedal (indispensable IMHO) fixed this.

Can find them at a reasonable price on Amazon & EBAY (got mine new-sealed in the box for $62)

Just watch the sustain out of this thing though - will make your rig howl with the big dogs it you don't watch it! :D

Anyone out there have speciffic settings you use with yours - always looking to tweak.

14. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
  15. bludog

bludog

Apr 3, 2012
    Brooklyn 11217
    The fine gentleman that runs/admins this AMAZING site was the first reply to this thread (Bongomania). Tend to agree with his assertion about Ross clones. Never really did it for me on bass. OS clones on the other hand can be great if you get a good one. And then it goes on and on and on from there... so many compression choices these days (yikes!).

I've used ovnilabs as a resource countless times, it's incredibly helpful. Recommend it to anyone even mildly interested in compressors. It will save you a lot of time (and money) just by reading the FAQ, let alone the reviews.