Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BBE Bmax Bass Preamp - Question - Need Help!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cgworkman, Jun 23, 2004.

1. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    I was wondering anyone was familiar with the BBE Bmax preamp. What I need to know is - What is the output line voltage? I'll be running it through a QSC PLX-2402 at 4 ohms. The input sensitivity is 1.3 volts for this amp at 4 ohms.

I've emailed BBE and they've given me no response - and it doesn't say on their website.

Thanks!

2. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Im not sure what the ouput voltage is however I use the BBE with a PLX1602 and love the sound...but that doesnt help you much...er.. :bag:

3. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Well the reason I'm asking is - If the line voltage doesn't match up properly to the input sensitivity of the amp - The preamp will never kick the amp into full wattage. I learned this from Bob @ QSC.

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Shouldn't be a problem. BBE preamps have enough output voltage capability to drive every pro amp that I know of. You'll be able to turn the amp gain down pretty far and still drive it fully.

5. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
  6. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Well, while we're at it - What about the Sansamp RBI rackmount pre?

Thanks again in advance!

7. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I actually noticed this too. I have my power amp at about 9 o'clock (second click), and the gain and volume of my preamp at noon. When I need an extra kick I take the power amp to the third click (its a rotary knob) or 11 o'clock.

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I don't know for sure; their Web site says that it has selectable output levels, so that's an encouraging sign.

E-mail Lloyd Schwartz at Tech21, describe what kind of instrument you have and how you play, and ask him if with that driving it, the RBI can put out maximum levels of at least about a volt and a half. More than that is fine, too. He can tell you if it's feasible.

9. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    I've got an email in with him - also, I've checked their website for further details.

Thanks for your help!!

10. Any news for the peanut gallery?

11. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    No, not yet actually [​IMG]. I never heard from them and I kind of forgot about it - I'll e-mail them one more time I guess...