BBE BMAX clipping bad!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wilser, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Hello,
    I just got my Bmax this week. It sounds great, but my single pickup bass is making the amp clip. everytime I have the bass at more than 1/2 the volume the pre clips real bad. The bass is a custom made single pickup 100% passive with just a volume pot. The pickup is an EMG-HZ 45 (6 string).

Anybody has a BMAX that knows if this is a problem with the preamp or is it just that my bass's output is too much (since the pre doesn't have a clip led, there's no way to know for sure).

PS. it does not clip my GK 400RBIII even with the -10db PAD off.

2. I have a BBE BMax and let me tell you it has a lot of gain. That happened to me too and I just lowered the gain and rased the master to comenpsate. It doesn't sound too serious of a problem. :D
  3. The Bmax definately has a very sensitive gain knob. Just turn it down. I keep mine about 1/4 the way up and master volume at half, it sounds great.
  4. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I seem to remember reading a thread on this subject a while back. If I remember correctly there is an alteration that can be made to turn down the input sensitivty on these suckers. Might want to email BBE...
  5. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    +1 - just keep it way down on the gain.
  6. Thanks SMASH,
    this seems to be related to the tube version. Mine is the solid state version, so I don't know if this applies.
  7. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Here's how I set the gain on my solid state BBE:

- turn on the compressor, dial to the least amount of compression
    - plug in bass & slap E string (repeat as needed)
    - adjust gain while slapping until compressor light only comes on for the absolutely hardest slaps (or back off even those if you want)

Then I leave it like that - but I suppose you could turn the compressor off if you want. Using this method I never have a problem with overdriving the input stage and seem to get all the output I could ever want. It also lets me pretty easily get different output level basses dialed in about the same on the input stage.

It's not the same as having an absolute clip light on the input but I'm pretty comfortable/happy with this method (all comments welcome).
  8. I just got an email reply from bbe saying they do have a mod for this problem seems like they should correct this in their production rather than one having to request a mod.
  9. OBBM

Jan 26, 2005
    Surrey, UK
    That mod was sent to me for the Tube version only. I applied it and used it satisfactorily.
  10. How high do you have your poweramp gain set while doing this?

11. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

All the way down - no external sound at all. I'm just using the compressor light as a visual guide to set my level. I've been leaving the output level at about 50% and after adjusting the input gain I bring up the power amp level to whatever I want for audible volume.

I could probably crank the output level on the BBE higher but then it's harder to control the audible volume with the power amp's control (small changes make too big an audible difference).

I use either 1 or 2 Avatar B112s and I know from using a 400W Gibson GB440 amp with them that they will get far louder than I want to be near before I'll overpower them. I'm driving them with a Carvin DCM1000 power amp which is way more power than I need - but I do have a second pair of Avatar SB112s in case I ever play outdoors without sound reinforcement.