Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BBE BMax Gain Settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alembicbassist, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Just tried out the new BMax last night. Am very impressed. Could'nt fine just the right tone though until my son came along and started playing leaving both of my hands free to play around (as well as give his opinion :) .

Question for owners. I can't tell much difference in tone between having the pre gain and master in the BMax up high about 7-8 with the PLX 1602 power amp turned down, and the other: pre and master lower about 4-5 with the power amp cranked. Is my ears deaf from sitting in front of the speaker to long? Does anyone hear any differences?

2. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I couldnt tell much difference either except the power amp was less likely to clip when the gain/master were up higher and the power amp level was lower. I use a BBE BMax with a QSC RMX 1850HD (soon to be PLX 1602 though)

3. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i have the gain on my BMax cranked, the volume at 5, and use the gain on my RMX 850 to adjust overall volume. works pretty well so far and sounded great at rehearsal today!! :D

4. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Hmmm, thats interesting..I will have to try that out...what kind of bass are you using?

5. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    I had the gain on my BMax SS set around 8 (I refrain from pegging any dial as a matter of principal) and the volume around half - seems to have good range there. The rest is up to the amp.

6. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    carvin LB76

its running into an ampeg BSE410HLF. im not sure what i have the gain at on the poweramp because its at my drummers house. ive had it all less than a week though, so imstill trying to work out the ideal settings.