Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BBE bmax in europe? Voltage?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Mar 24, 2004.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Can a BBE bmax preamp be bought in the US and used in Europe 220V??? Can it be converted easely?
    Prices are so much better in USA.

2. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Jock...

I would send an email to a dealer in the USA and ask them to contact the manufacturer. I did that with my amp and they built in a switchable 110/240 volt mod.

You can buy power transformers that permit you to run 110 volt items on 220-240 volt. I've been doing that for years with no problems.

bmc

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks!
    I was hoping to find a used one though.
    In some amp and preamps you just have to flip a switsh or shange a fuse. That is what Im hoping for.

4. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    In that case, fire off an email to the maufacturer asking them how to do the mod. I moved here with a Gallien Krueger MB150 head that was set up for 110volt. I email GK and they responded with how to mod to unit.

Have you shopped around for transformers to convert the power?

bmc

5. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    No, Ihaven´t. They are usually quite heavy, right?
    It was just a thought I had about getting a better deal overseas. Haven´t really given much more thought to it.
    Ive seen a BBE represenatant posting in here some times so maybe he will stop by.

6. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    You wouldn't need a big one. They're about 4 inches high by 4 inches wide. Not real heavy. You can screw them onto a piece of plywood and permanently fix the wiring in place. That guitarist I play with that I mentioned in another thread, runs his Soldano through a transformer. He bought the head in Nashville where he is from. He's been running the head through the transformer for about 10-12 years.

If he's willing to lug around a big tube head to gigs, what's another 2-3 lb item. When I look at equipment prices here, I will gladly go the transformer route, and pay DHL to ship it, pay the customes fees and still save $200. It's offensive what people charge here.

The flip side of it is that there are not many stores and it's very expensive to run your own business. As you know, the European way of buying locally is an important relationship, that regrettably comes with a very high cost. Some items I break down and pay for. Others, I've shipped across the pond.

Go hunting for transformers and see what they look like and how much they sell for. I bought mine in the Middle East and still use them.