Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BBE BMax Output Levels

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TexasBBQ, Sep 29, 2004.

1. I have just put together my new head end rig and I have a question for BMax owners. I am running the BMax into a QSC RMX 1850HD. I notice a large increase in volume when I use the unbalanced 1/4" connections rather than the balanced XLRs(plus a little more noise.) for the same settings. The Bmax manual states the the two outputs are both controlled by the master volume pot and either can be used to drive an amp.

Is there a level difference between the pre amp outputs or does the QSC have a preference?

What is the preferred method of interconnection?

BTW, I blown away by the sound either way!

2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    It doesn't matter which one you use. On my BBE 383 I use the XLR to drive the amp and the 1/4" to drive my direct box.

3. judd levison

judd levison

Jun 2, 2003
    hey bbq,

the xlr is a balanced mic-level DI output. it wants to be plugged into something that will provide some boost, like a mic preamp, so the level will be much lower than the 1/4" unbal output which is a full line-level +4 output.

the 1/4" is really designed to run to the amplifier and the xlr really is for DI runs back to the PA console.

i hope this helps.

peace

4. Thank you both for the advice. It's totally amazing to me that reps from both QSC and BBE are on this forum lending their expertise to us.

I think I'm going to try using the 1/4" unbalanced output with a short cord to drive the amp.

Thanks again,

A.A.

5. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Yes I do have to agree with that. It is just awesome that you guys are here. As you can see what my rig is in my signature. Just tonally awesome!!!! May be getting the Warwick Thumb that I want soon...and boy oh boy!!!!