Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BBE BMax-T rig for AG500.....bad idea?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Oct 17, 2005.

1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    I'm currently using a BBE BMax-T pre, a crest LT 1000 (lightest one they make) in a road case with a Korg Tuner, and an MXR M-80 for distortion. This whole package weighs in at around 65 - 70lbs.... which I just can't manage 3 times a week any longer....

I absolutely LOVE the sound of this rig (especially thru my Schroeder), but I just can't hack the weight. I've tried a bunch of things, and oddly enough for anyone's future reference, the clean side of the Mesa Boogie Big Block 750 and the BBE sound nearly identical, but that head makes barely 400 watts at 4 Ohms, and wont be saving me any weight.

I was thinking of getting just an Aguilar AG500, which is obviously making less power than the crest, but I think it will be enough 90% of the time, plus it weighs less than 20lbs!!

There are no dealers around me who carry the Aggie stuff, so I can't really test it out, anyone here have alot of experience with the tube BBE, and enough experience with the Aggie to tell me whether I will be loosing anything by going this route? (apart from 40 lbs and about 250 watts)

Only other solution I can think of is switch to a rack bag and find one of those ultra light Stewart 1.2 power amps....

2. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    BUMP

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    If you like the sound of your current rig, maybe you should consider getting a light weight power amp, such as a Stewart or something from Peavy's CS series.

4. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    I'm using a BMax-T with a QSC PLX 2402. It's about 30lbs in the rack. If you love the preamp, maybe an Acoustic Image Focus for a power amp?

5. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I run a BMax-T into a QSC PLX1602. Light, loud, mmm mmm good.

6. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    It would seem to me that the point of having a modular rack is to be able to change out individual sections if they aren't hacking it. The power section is where the offending weight lies, so swap it out for a lighter power amp and keep the tone you already like. Just my opinion.

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    It looks like your in a pretty heavy band, I would get a more lightweight poweramp......you might miss the headroom. The Schroeder can take the juice too!

8. If you prefer some weight reduction and don't want to give up power you might want to try the DB750, not as light weight as the 500 but it has some serious power and can also handle a 2 ohm load; I definitely enjoy mine. :)

9. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Would that really save him a whole lot of weight, though? I thought the DB750s were pretty heavy monsters, themselves.

10. would save him ~ 30 lbs., the DB750 weighs 43lbs. his rack unit 75lbs.

11. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Thought it was more than that. My bad. Why's everyone always complaining about what a drag it is to move around then? Sissies. :)

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    My Aggie 659, QSC2402 rack weighs in under 30 pounds :cool:

13. very nice combo, Jerry

14. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    Well, my AG500 through my Schroder 410 is very loud. It may sound different than your current rig. You might not like that sound . . . but I would be surprised if it's not enough power for you. I say that after using it in a band that was so loud, my ears would ring even through ear plugs.

Now, if only we could convince Jorg to make some ultralight cabinets so I could lighten the speaker load as well as the head load . . .