BBE BMAX to replace my aguilar???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jivetkr, Dec 21, 2004.

1. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    I currently play through the following:

aguilar DB659 -> QSC PLX 2402 ->aguilar GS410

I'm really not liking the aguilar pre anymore. Set flat, its really growly & with EQ it gets really boomy. Plus it doesnt really push the power amp as much as I would like.

I want clean tight lows. I dont want to sound too growly.

I'm thinking about picking up the BMAX solid state version. I have not been able to try one but I really like what I heard on basstasters. It seems to offer a lot of features for the price like the compressor & sonic maximizer.

What do you guys think? I dont want to drop a ton of money.

Also, is there that much of a difference between the jensen DI (used on the BmaxT) & regular DI (on the Bmax)?
  2. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I haven't heard the BMax but I own the BMax T. I first played it at Pete Skjold's place when I was trying out the Schroeder cabinets. I liked it so much that I bought one to go with my Schroeder. I really can't compare it with anything though because I've only played it through those cabs. What I can say is that my sound is very clean and focused with emphasis on the low mids. I run the BBE pretty much with all the knobs set in the 12 o'clock position. I use a Carvin DCM1000 to power the rig.
  3. The BMax sounds fantastic. It seriously cured any amp GAS I have for the foreseeable future... it does everything very, very well, with the exception of overdrive. It's the definition of clean and tight, and it has a pretty hot output so it will drive any power amp. I run the master volume on my BMax at 2 and it drives my QSC very well.
  4. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    I just ordered my BMAX so we'll see what happens.
  5. Mobay45

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I know you'll be happy with your choice.
  6. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I am currently using a BMax (ss) though a PLX 1602 into an Ampeg SVT-410HLF. The BMax sounds great coupled with the PLX.

I really want to try it out with 12's and 15's when I get the chance because I bet it would rock.
  7. I've had my BMax for one year, and I'm VERY pleased!
    I had to read the owner's manual carefully to get the sound
    I wanted, but it does everything I could ask for.
    I'm still in the process of tweaking the mids (very profound
    effect on the overall sound). The compressor and BBE Process
    functions are a real asset. I've also found the Bright switch
    useful, my 2x10 cabinet doesn't have a horn, and I also run a
    1x15, and 1x15w/horn. I power it with a PS802 amp, very clean
    and very powerful. I would highly recomend it for any style.

One rack space
    Super light
    Built tough
    Wide variety of tonal possibilities
    All for around $300 NEW!!
    This thing ROCKS!
  8. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I've had mine for a long time- I love it! I also run the PS-802 power amp, and it fits into my two-space rack bag. I did a review on it at, check it out if you like.
  9. Mobay45

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    *And it has a built in BBE Sonic Maximizer! :bassist:
  10. toobster

toobster Guest

Jan 22, 2006
    I have had a BMAX since it came out and a BMAXT for six months.

The BMAX needs the input gain mod to sound right. The T just needs a tube swap.

The T sounds better. Period. I kept the BMAX too. But I'm a collector and own a rental company. I have every preamp known to man. No kidding.

The T is one of the best preamps I have ever used. I like it better than my old Alembics and Demeters.

Not a bass overdrive, though. It sounds best with the input gain set only as high as you need.
  11. toobster

toobster Guest

Jan 22, 2006
    By the way SHOP SHOP SHOP!!!

I am not a retailer and only get discounts when I buy stuff in bulk (ie; mic cables, cases, mics, stands, etc).

I paid $215 shipped for my BMAX and $430 shipped for my T. Both brand new full warranty.

The T came from Nitro Music in West Virginia. Check the BBE site for their contact info.
  12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The jensen DI is a lot better, but the DI in the bmax is perfectly acceptable for routing to a pa. The jensen is nice if you're gonna use it in studio a lot.
    I'm running mine with a qsc/plx1202, and it kicks.