Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BBE BMAX to replace my aguilar???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jivetkr, Dec 21, 2004.

1. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    I currently play through the following:

aguilar DB659 -> QSC PLX 2402 ->aguilar GS410

I'm really not liking the aguilar pre anymore. Set flat, its really growly & with EQ it gets really boomy. Plus it doesnt really push the power amp as much as I would like.

I want clean tight lows. I dont want to sound too growly.

I'm thinking about picking up the BMAX solid state version. I have not been able to try one but I really like what I heard on basstasters. It seems to offer a lot of features for the price like the compressor & sonic maximizer.

What do you guys think? I dont want to drop a ton of money.

Also, is there that much of a difference between the jensen DI (used on the BmaxT) & regular DI (on the Bmax)?

2. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I haven't heard the BMax but I own the BMax T. I first played it at Pete Skjold's place when I was trying out the Schroeder cabinets. I liked it so much that I bought one to go with my Schroeder. I really can't compare it with anything though because I've only played it through those cabs. What I can say is that my sound is very clean and focused with emphasis on the low mids. I run the BBE pretty much with all the knobs set in the 12 o'clock position. I use a Carvin DCM1000 to power the rig.

3. The BMax sounds fantastic. It seriously cured any amp GAS I have for the foreseeable future... it does everything very, very well, with the exception of overdrive. It's the definition of clean and tight, and it has a pretty hot output so it will drive any power amp. I run the master volume on my BMax at 2 and it drives my QSC very well.

4. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    I just ordered my BMAX so we'll see what happens.

5. Mobay45

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I know you'll be happy with your choice.

6. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I am currently using a BMax (ss) though a PLX 1602 into an Ampeg SVT-410HLF. The BMax sounds great coupled with the PLX.

I really want to try it out with 12's and 15's when I get the chance because I bet it would rock.

7. I've had my BMax for one year, and I'm VERY pleased!
    I had to read the owner's manual carefully to get the sound
    I wanted, but it does everything I could ask for.
    I'm still in the process of tweaking the mids (very profound
    effect on the overall sound). The compressor and BBE Process
    functions are a real asset. I've also found the Bright switch
    useful, my 2x10 cabinet doesn't have a horn, and I also run a
    1x15, and 1x15w/horn. I power it with a PS802 amp, very clean
    and very powerful. I would highly recomend it for any style.

Summation:
    One rack space
    Super light
    Built tough
    Wide variety of tonal possibilities
    All for around $300 NEW!!
    This thing ROCKS!

8. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I've had mine for a long time- I love it! I also run the PS-802 power amp, and it fits into my two-space rack bag. I did a review on it at bgra.net, check it out if you like.

9. Mobay45

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    *And it has a built in BBE Sonic Maximizer! :bassist:

10. toobster

toobster Guest

Jan 22, 2006
    I have had a BMAX since it came out and a BMAXT for six months.

The BMAX needs the input gain mod to sound right. The T just needs a tube swap.

The T sounds better. Period. I kept the BMAX too. But I'm a collector and own a rental company. I have every preamp known to man. No kidding.

The T is one of the best preamps I have ever used. I like it better than my old Alembics and Demeters.

Not a bass overdrive, though. It sounds best with the input gain set only as high as you need.

11. toobster

toobster Guest

Jan 22, 2006
    By the way SHOP SHOP SHOP!!!

I am not a retailer and only get discounts when I buy stuff in bulk (ie; mic cables, cases, mics, stands, etc).

I paid $215 shipped for my BMAX and $430 shipped for my T. Both brand new full warranty.

The T came from Nitro Music in West Virginia. Check the BBE site for their contact info.

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The jensen DI is a lot better, but the DI in the bmax is perfectly acceptable for routing to a pa. The jensen is nice if you're gonna use it in studio a lot.
    I'm running mine with a qsc/plx1202, and it kicks.