Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BBE BMaxx-T vs Ampeg SVP Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GrooveMonkey, Dec 13, 2003.

1. BBE BMaxx-T

17 vote(s)
    37.0%
  2. Ampeg SVP Pro

25 vote(s)
    54.3%
  3. Other (please specify)

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  1. BBE BMaxx-T vs Ampeg SVP Pro

I've narrowed my search to these two pre-amps.

Both have nice features:

SVP Pro - graphic EQ, input level w/indicator, 5 real tubes.

BBE BMaxx-T - compressor, sonic maximizer, 1 real tube.

Both have a lower frequency center than my RBI and both cost about $600 new.

Which of these would you pick and why?

2. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
  3. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    fwiw, if you end up going with the svp, bypassing the graphic eq maintains an all tube signal path - imho the svp sounds best this way, using only the valve stage eq - I also recommend retubing the unit upon arrival because the factory tubes are both noisy and sterile - with the right tubes, this is a versatile preamp with rich harmonics

oh btw, I don't think you should be paying that much for the svp - I believe they're $500 max, and can most certainly be found for less

I can't offer much advice on the bbe, but fwiw, I use their 482 maximizer in the f/x loop of my svp - though the maximizer effect is pretty subtle, the 482 has remained in my rack since day one - it applies a sort of unobtrusive refinement to my sound which I've come to expect

good luck with the decision

4. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I picked up my SVP-Pro for around $350 on eBay. I really like the way it's set up. I run it without the EQ on most of the time, and when I want a really good EQ boost I can turn it on with a footswitch (perfect for boosting it up when slapping etc.).

I haven't replaced the tubes and the ones I have sound fine to me. Just wondering seamus, what kind of difference do aftermarket tubes make in the SVP-Pro? What kind of tubes did you use? I don't really have any way of comparing mine with one that has upgraded tubes but I'm always interested in having the best tone.

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I like both the preamps mentioned.

The SVP seems more versatile.

After visiting www.BassTasters.com, I was really impressed with the (SS) BBE BMax (based on flat settings -- I thought the EQ'ed clips sounded worse -- DSFDF). It's also cheaper at ~$300USD*.

I'm going to have to find one to audition with my rig.

*P.S. Actually, cheaper than that at Rik's Music.

6. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Those poll #'s are going to be biased because the SVP has been on the market way longer and is way more available (ie they are sold at GC). The BBE is an excellent pre. After going through an A/B, the clear winner, by far, was the BBE. BTW, its Max, not Maxx.

7. bassic1959

bassic1959

Jan 16, 2003
    I just got my new SVP-Pro last week ($450). I used it at a club Saturday and I love the sound coming from it. For me, it is great. I tried a Demeter and Aguilar but went with the SVP. Great Ampeg tone.

8. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    yeah, I should probably qualify what I said since I cannot speak for everyone's tastes - I believe when my unit arrived, there was a groove tube in the V1 spot, a no name chinese tube in the V4 spot, and sovtek lps in the other stages

initially I tried electro-harmonix tubes throughout, and I was pleased with that for a time - the EH's were clean clean, quiet, and good harmonics - then I saw some recommendations on here re: tubes people had tried from lord valve - I tried them out myself, and was more pleased with the warmth they seemed to impart, plus they were quiet and harmonically rich as well

I believe I installed Beijing NOS tubes throughout, with a JAN/Philips in the V4 spot

9. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Is this too much? I use the BBE Bmax pre with an SVT III Pro. Very impressed with the BBE, I've been getting some great sounds lately. It just sort of "kicks it up a notch" in a good way.

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Yeah; preamps are all a matter of individual tastes and the tone you are after.

The slap clips on BassTasters of the Sadowsky through the Ampeg are really nice and meaty.

Several of the preamps demo'd there would be hard to go wrong with.

I still gotta hear a BMax live.

11. I never got to hear the great tone of the SVP because I had it in the shop more than at my shows. I replaced it with the BBE BMax SS and am very pleased. You must read manual to understand where flat is on this amp. I can dial in anything. I did not like the tube sound but this amp gives the right amount of low end and keeps the clarity. The SVP was too noisy and I could not get used to that. Plus, it would cut out on occassion. I am sold on BBE! Reasonably priced. Worth every penny.:p

12. tyjacks

tyjacks Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Memphis, TN.
    Anybody here have any info on a comparison between the Glockenklang Bass Art Classic and the Eden Navigator pre-amps?
    Trying to decide which one, any info on the BBE-T and AG DB-680 would help to.

13. i voted "other" because i prefer the ampeg SVP-BSP over both of them. it's a warmer, cleaner sound than ampeg, but it also has the ability to get a more characteristic ampeg sound with some tweaking. i've found it to be very articulate and versatile.

it's my SVP-BSP that's on basstasters -- i'm familiar with its sound and it sounds very much like itself at their site. as such i'm comfortable with the accuracy of the recordings.

between the two, however, i would choose the BBE B-MAXt over the ampeg SVP-Pro, based on what they sound like at basstasters.com. in my subjective tone preferences, the BBE has a smoother, more refined tone than the ampeg does. it also has some sense of tube-ness in it, too, which is nice. the solid state was nice, but i found it a little too brittle on the top end for my tastes. i wouldn't kick it out of my rack if i got it for free, but it's not what i would buy.

robb.

14. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I love the sound of the SVP more every time I use it.

15. I don't know how I missed this thread. BMAX-T all the way. I haven't heard a better sounding preamp anywhere. Almost bought an Ampeg until I tried the BBE. Love the built in BBE but the compressor is not my cup of tea. TONS of tone and warmth. Everyone comments on how great my rig sounds. My P-bass cuts through great. Also, BBE's service dept is tops. Can't say enough about them. Good luck.

16. almeak

almeak

Feb 25, 2004
    Chicago IL
    What type of tube would you recoment?