BBE Compressor

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ADbassman, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Sorry if this is a rundundant thread type of deal, but I got a question concerning the BBE Bmaxs compressor and Sonic Maximizer.

I had a compressor on my old Rogue RB-200 bass head and I liked it for what it was. I'm wondering if the compressor on the Bmax is of quality and how it compares to other amps with compressors or dedicated compressors on the market. I'm in the can't choose between two preamps boat with many other people. Also, does the Sansamp RBI have a compressor?

Also, what is the BBE Sonic Maximizer exactly? I've heard people say the preamp really doesen't sound that great without it.

2. It is of quality, in my opinion. I keep mine engaged and set to around 9 o'clock at all times. It doesn't suck the life out of your tone like some that I've used... it is very functional and useful. I personally keep the preamp's sonic maximizer off, since the low contour doesn't work well with my Acme. Others can explain what a sonic maximizer does better than I can. As to whether the BMax is better or worse than the Sansamp RBI, that's a matter of preference. I personally prefer the BMax and find the Sansamp (I have a Bass Driver DI) to be kind of.. "mushy" sounding, and I don't like it's distortion sound. It's more old school sounding, as opposed to the BMax's modern sound. One thing I do really like about the Bmax is the para-mid EQ, it gives you full control over the mids from 250 to 1000Hz.. very nice.
  3. What happens with your Acme? Does the hi process work better than the lo contour?

4. The hi process works fine, I just don't usually use it. The Acme has such tremendous low end that the lo contour isn't needed.
  5. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Sorry to bring this thread up...

But can someone explain the parametric EQ in BMax? i.e. What it does? How it works?

6. From:

Parametric EQ: this type lets you control all aspects of each band through separate controls. Frequency, bandwidth (also designated "Q"), and gain. Some parametric equalizers have additional shelving bands. They control everything below (low shelf) or above (high shelf) their center frequency.

The BMax isn't fully parametric, it's got a parametric mid control, the others are fixed range, fixed frequency EQ knobs.