Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BBE MAxcom or DBX 166XL ???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by afroman, Jan 4, 2005.

1. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Which one would you get??
    They seem very similar. Both offer two channels of compresion and gating. But the BBE offers the Sonci Maximizer too.
    Please let me know wihich would you choose and why.

An tell me your experience wiht any of these.

Thanks...

2. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Please can anyone tell me your experience or opinion about any of these compressors. I'm also considering the Presonus Bluemax.

Any help is welcome,

Thanks...

3. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Please can anyone tell me your experience or opinion about any of these compressors. I'm also considering the Presonus Bluemax.

Any help is welcome,

Thanks...

4. Rav

Rav

Dec 29, 2004
    Aurora, IL

Hi Afro,

I think the problem your going to have getting a good answer on this is that most people bought one and stuck with it. Most people won't be able to compare them for you.

I'm in that boat as well but I'll tell you what I think of the one I have if it helps.

I looked at the maxcom and the dbx for a compressor and since I was also interested in getting a BBE 882i for sonic maximizer I decided on the maxcom. The 882i plus a compressor was going to run me about $400 or so for the pair and I got a maxcom for about $170 new off of ebay.

Its a dual channel with a maximizer and gate/limiter/compressor on each channel. I set it up with channel 1 on my input side to use as compressor/gate and set up channel 2 as my output from preamp to amp to use as a maximizer with a hard limit set to protect my amp and cabinet.

For me its worked very well and sounds very clean.

I'm not saying its "the way" for everyone to go as I've never tried the presonus the dbx or any other similar product. And again the reason I went with the maxcom was to save money because I knew I wanted the maximizer for my output no matter what.

-Rav

5. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I run mine the opposite. Light limiting on the way in, and auto compression and maximizer on the way out to the amp.

I have to be a little careful, get over zealous on the way in and I get a very crunchy compressed oldschool geddy kind of sound, even from my very toneful Cirrus. Sucks most of the lows out too.

I could try reversing it like you have to see how she goes.

I used to run a Samson SCOM plus in the same fashion, and it was much more transparent and musical.

I don't necessarily need the maximizer in there, but I've already kind of gotten used to it. So I may end up sticking with it and selling the scom.

Troll

6. Rav

Rav

Dec 29, 2004
    Aurora, IL
    As a side note the signal meter LED's seem kind of useless on the box but the compression LED's are kind of nice to let you know when its compressing and by how much.

Thats probably the only thing I don't like about it is the signal LED's. I'm not exactly sure what BBE had in mind with them.

-Rav

7. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks guys.

I too feel that the Maxcom has the edge just because of the Sonic Maximizer. I had a Bmax and I used the Sonic Maximizer, but now with my new Fender TBP-1 I feel I probably wouldn't use the sonic maximizer that much. But aside from that, do you feel that the Maxcom does a good kob compressing bass or did you choose it because of the extra features and that it's less expensive? Is the DBX better at compressing/ gating?? Regardless of price, I you've tried both, which one would you choose?

I manily want to use to balance the tone a little but primarily for speaker protection and limiting.

Thanks again...

PS. The Bluemax is still in the running, any opinions are welcome

8. Rav

Rav

Dec 29, 2004
    Aurora, IL
    The maxcom seems pretty solid but I can't compare it to a dbx since I haven't used one.

-Rav

9. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Is the PreSonus up in quality as the DBX and the Maxcom??
    I've read great reviews of it and beign 1/2 rack space makes it very intteresting.

Any help is welcome...

Thanks..

10. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    YEA the answer I was looking for

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm not sure what Rav's gear setup was, but most basses will not have a hot enough output to properly drive most rack comps. Maybe if you have a hot onboard or an external preamp pedal you can juice it high enough to get into the "optimal" operating range.

12. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I'd go MaxCom.