Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BBE Maximizer, hwat does it exactly do?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dees, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I was thinking of getting one of those. The BBE maximizers and Aphex 204s and such basically give you a fuller high and low end.

2. You can basically say that the BBE sonic maximizer takes the blanket off your speakers. Cleaner sound.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Actually, it's not a cleaner sound. It's a dirtier sound, applied to certain frequencies. They add distortion to certain orders of harmonics in the spectrum, thus increasing perceived harmonic content, and removing the aformentioned blanket.

However, I find them to make the sound very cold and brittle sounding. I would recommend a good amp over a poor one with a BBE hooked up any day.

4. I agree! to my ears it gives vocals a more metalic sound. It's great for bringing a softer type voice out in the mix. But, with a voice like mine that will cut through a marching band, well it makes it sound even worse. It really depends on what you're trying to do. I've never tried it with bass, but I would think it could help bring it out in the mix.

5. judd levison

judd levison

Jun 2, 2003
    Hi guys,

just for the record, what Benjamin has described here is the operating theory behind the Aphex Aural Exciter, not the BBE Sonic Maximizer. While they both fall into a catagory that might be called "enhancers", the premises are completely different.

here's the poop from our website: http://www.bbesound.com/technologies/BBE_HDS/

of course, as with all signal processing, it not for everyone and you need to let your own ears decide if it's cool for you or not.

many folks find it an indespensible part of their tone shaping palette, and that's cool :hyper: ...and some find it annoying :scowl: ...such is life.

peace and thanks for listening,
    judd

6. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I have tried 2 seperate Aphex models and both added a lot of hiss. I bought a used BBE 411 and it is dead quiet. If I could afford a high end rig and not use an enhancer I surely would. On my modest rig it does make a difference. To me it sounds cleaner and brighter. My Avatar cab's tweeter is useless and the BBE brings out the highs without noise. It will make a really big difference on your small combo amp.

7. ingmar

ingmar

Oct 14, 2002
    Normandy, France
    I like the BBE Maximizer even though I use a high-end rig. Or maybe it's not high-end, you tell me:

Various Preamps, waiting for a BMAX
    BBE 482
    Lab Gruppen Lab 1300C power amp (Powerlight killer ;) )
    EBS 410

Yes my first name is Ingmar, but I am not Swedish!

The 482 does nice things to the lower end, you just have to be careful about the process (treble processing) setting to avoid that metallic sound.

I've used Aphex Exciters in studios a few years back when I was still sound engineering, I only used them as a last resort because of the added dirt/hiss the units added. Don't get me wrong, Aphex makes excellent products, I loved my Compellor .... Also, Aphex and BBE processes are really quite different and don't have the same type of effect on the sound.

8. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Never used the BBE on an instrument, but have used on PA. It must have had a big high end boost, since the PA fed back like anything with it, but was Ok without at same settings and overall volume level. I agree about some sort of metallic or artificial "flavor".

I didn't like it. But to be fair, that was years ago, and they may have gotten better.

And an instrument is different. Anything you do is fine, if it sounds good. You are in the sound creation business, not the sound reproduction business. "Right" is what you say it is..

BTW, there was a BBE guy doing the PA demo, so we weren't just too ignorant to set it up right. He set it up. Made piano sound really weird, IMO.

I won't say someone is silly if they like it. Taste differs.