1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BBE Opto compessor pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by henry123450, Jan 5, 2012.

1. henry123450

henry123450

Jan 5, 2012
    hey all, i just ordered a BBE Opto compressor pedal and i was wondering how well it worked. i saw a very good review for it in bass guitar magazine and i also did not want to drop $200 on the EBS compressor pedal. still i have actually come to realize that it has some mixed reviews online.

what i was wondering is how is well it works. The main thing is i am looking for in a compressor pedal is something that can help even out my slapping,double stops and when i play arpeggios past the 12th. along with bringing down the sheer power and volume difference between my E string and the other 3 strings.

my rig is a fender american jazz bass, with an SWR head and a Warwick 1x15 cab. i am really happy with the amp cab and bass and was trying to get everything in order for giging.

i've never had a compressor before and i was wondering what to look for in the sound difference. i've played the EBS compressor before and noticed a decent difference, should i expect around the same difference with this? also this model should be the one with the mustache on it.

2. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

I just bought one this morning and played with it a bit today. I went for this comp after reading Bongo's review and finding out he's got also it in his top picks. Here's the link to his page: http://www.ovnilab.com/

I'm far from being an expert and I had very few comps before (EBS, Boss CS-3, Boss LMB-3). I find the BBE quite transparent, noiseless and pretty much set-and-forget. I expected the BBE to have pad switch and it doesn't have it. As Bongo said, BBE seems to have a few versions of this pedal.

And yes, its the M&M graphics (monocle-and-mustache).

3. henry123450

henry123450

Jan 5, 2012
    so would you say that it would work well toward what i want it to do? i dont want the tone altered i just want to make sure the strings even out and my slap comes through better

4. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

yup, did it for me.

5. It's subtle. If you're looking for a transparent tool, it's great. If you're looking to crush the signal in to gooey goodness, maybe not. Different applications, different strokes.

It works well on other things too, I use it on certain guitars to good effect.

6. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    In your situation (which is similar to the one I was dealing with) you should make sure you do everything else right to address the problems you have before you try adding compression. By that I mean, make sure your action is set properly, adjust your pickup height, adjust your tone settings...all to try to balance out the volume and power different between your low string and your other 3 strings. The BBE is great for this, too, but it's not magic, you need to do the other things, too.

-JV