Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bbe preamps? and swr amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Aug 22, 2003.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i didnt want to make two seperate threads so i condensed them in respective order.

are they any good. the local shop has one, i think it said 303? but im not to sure, i only noticed it as i left the store.

the same store also had an swr 220 pro series amp. ive never seen one but it was old but still looked good. is it so?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The 220 is an early SWR model. It's very similar to the current SM-500 head except it has only one power amp (the SM-400, 400S and 500 models all have two power amps, which can be run in stereo, biamped or bridged). The 220 only puts out about 200 watts into 4 ohms but if that's enough wattage it's a great sounding amp and very reliable.

Just a warning: most 220s I see used are overpriced, after all it is only a 200 watt amp! $300 would be a good price...less than that it's a steal.

Here's a link for more info on the 220:

http://swrsound.com/products/vintage.html

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    hey thanks. now all i need to know is the bbe and the number on that was 383, not 303.

4. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I've got a BBE 382 I believe is the model..
    It's a single space rack unit with two knobs and a little in/out switch on the front. Very simple unit and it really makes my overall sound a little cleaner and tighter. I run this unit after all of my effects/pre into my power amp..all of that goes into my SWR cab's and gives me a really good overall sound. I think I picked the BBE up used for about 50 bucks. Money well spent IMHO.

5. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    thanks, i think i might go back and check the one out. however i somehow get teh feeling its terribly overpriced...which the store is notorious for.