BBE Sonic Max+Aphex Aural??? Questions...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by acustc3bass, Jun 7, 2004.

1. acustc3bass

Jun 5, 2004
    i am wondering if it would be alright for me to buy the aphex aural exciter w/ this setup:

fender deluxe active jazz
    -> Ernie Ball mono volume
    -> yamaha nathan east magic box
    -> boss bass chorus
    -> boss bass limiter enhancer (not used much)
    -> ampeg svt-II pro (using a svt410he cab)

(effects loop)
    bbe 882i sonic maximizer

please help me out!
  2. Sure, you can get it, but I don't know why you'd want to. There seems to be Aphex guys and BBE'd be batting for both teams! What, exactly are you looking for? With that Nathan East thing, and the Boss Limiter/Enhancer, + the BBe, it seems like you're looking for a Cure-all for your tone. My first suggestion (after going down the spiral of buying things to help improve my you're doing) is to take all that crap out of your chain, except for your chorus. The chorus is the only thing really effecting your tone. Then, change your strings, set your eq on your bass and amp flat, then turn it up and rock out for an hour or so. After that hour, decide what it is about your sound you don't like. If you can still say that there's something missing, you should have a clear, concise idea of what that thing is.

ps. welcome to the forum
  3. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i used a BBE 383 with a sonic maximizer with an aphex aural exciter, and it really sounded sweet...i swapped the 383 out for an eden navigator, but i really liked the sound of both of them coupled together...the 383 was a good sounding preamp, but the aphex just made it POP...heck, the aphex makes my eden sound better...great unit
  4. acustc3bass

Jun 5, 2004
    you know...the one thing that i like most about my tone is the overall roundess and smoothness coming from it, and that is mainly attributed to the nathan east for the boss limiter/enhancer, i'm probably pulling that out of the chain anytime soon, i'm just not that pleased w/ it. thanks for the advice about the aural exciter...

but one thing i'm looking for is just a slight bit more punch. i love the sound that my NE1 puts out, however, it loses the active punch of my bass, i'm almost looking for more of a modern tone that Stefan Lessard of the Dave Matthews Band has live and on their most recent studio cd, "Busted Stuff"