Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BBE Sonic Maximizer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Goo, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Goo

Goo

Feb 21, 2006
    I was thinking of purchasing an old model of the BBE sonic maximizer for around 70-100 bucks. Nobody can really describe to me what exactly it does, but say they can hear a difference. I was just wondering if it would be worth the money and what the thing actually does.

2. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    They make your rig sound bigger and clearer at the same time. Quite useful to have but IME, they are more effective when used in PA applications where they affect the whole mix, rather than just a single instrument. At that price, it's worth a shot. Good luck and let us know how you like it.

3. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    They make okay gear sound great.

More low end definition, less mud, more high end "sparkle".

It's a good upgrade, especially for that price.

4. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    I used one for years, but recently took it out of my rig...It does clean up the signal and gives you a nice clear sound. I found it worked especially well when I used distortion. However, I decided it was robbing away the real tone of my bass/amp too much and decided to take it out. I now hear alot more mids in my playing and I like the overall sound alot better. But I am by no means knocking the maximizer, I used mine for about 5 years before I finally turned it off. It is really a matter of what you are into at the time I guess.

5. http://www.bbesound.com/technologies/BBE_HDS/

Just scroll down to where it says:
    A new era in sound fidelity Begins with BBE Technology
    BBE High Definition Sound - What it is and what it does

I have the BBE BMax preamp, and before that a BBE 462 maximizer.
    I've not only used it for bass, but for final mixdowns as well.
    It's a great tool to have around. And I think you can get them
    cheaper than $70-$100. I bought an older model for my bandleader
    on Ebay about a year ago for $35. It works great, just cosmetically
    not the best. Good luck.

6. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I use them (882i model) in my PA rigs and they really clean up the sound and make the highs, mids and especially the low end very defined.

There are two products that I swear by. The Sansamp BDDI and the BBE Sonic Maximizer. Both products do exactly what their manufactures claim them to do and are worth every penny.

7. I have BBE DI-100 and sonic maximizer in it is just perfect with my bass effects. (BBE comes after effects and just before amp)

8. snap42

snap42

Aug 26, 2003
    I've often read that the DI should be the first you plug into; have you notice any difference? I have just ordered a DI-100X, can't wait to try it out!!

9. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    If you have any effects that you want included in the DI signal, you'll need to plug into those before the DI. BBE recommends having the SM as far down the signal chain as you can get it - right before the power amp is ideal for an instrument rig.

I'm on the fence right now about my BBE 362. It works just fine, and does EXACTLY what is says it does, but I've come to a point where I'm not sure I like what it does for my bass sound. As a PA process, I can see how it would be excellent.