Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BBE Sonic Maximizer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by masaki_v, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Are these any good? Does anyone use them at all? Sorry, but I know close to nothing about it.

Thanks for your time.

Masaki

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I tried one of the inexpensive ones MF sells (the 264?) in my bass rig for a week - I wasn't impressed, so sent it back. They seem to make a huge difference in program audio, such as a DJ or PA application. And the BBE engineered sound in my new Panasonic Tau flatscreen TV is spectacular!

My take: not much use for individual instrument amplification, but great for the mixed product. YMMV.

3. MrBungle3

MrBungle3

May 16, 2002
    Dallas
    I am looking to buy one too, I hear that it will make my recordings alot brighter...I have read some reviews from bass players getting a good individual application with their rig set up--and if so, that is a plus for me...but mainly I hear about live and recorded mix applications for its use.

4. I had about the same experience as HeavyDuty had... it didn't do enough to improve the sound of my bass rig to make it worth having. It was about equal to having a different set of strings... I just found a different set of strings and saved a rack space and a couple hundred $$$. ;)

5. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    MF used to carry a 1/3 rack space BBE Sonicmax for around $60. Thats the one I put in my live rig. When you switch it in and out, you notice a big difference in punch and warmth. Its almost like a "loudness" button on a home stereo. I have it post pre-amp and pre-xover/amp, to take advantage of the time-alignment. A nice addition.

6. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I think when used in moderation they can improve the sound of certain rigs.I have one, a BBE 862,and I use it with the knobs at 12 o'clock and it makes the lower notes more pleasant sounding to me as well as giving the treble range a little crispness.
    BTW,Behringer makes two products,the EX 2200 and the EX3200,which do the same thing as the BBE as well as the Aphex,but they are a lot cheaper and include a surround feature for use with a stereo mix.

7. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I have a 362 in my rack. It improves clarity and punch, just like the ads say. It's only $99 at GC. I leave it on all the time. BBE made a bass preamp too. Someday I will try the aphex, it's supposed to be a different process.

8. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Is there really many differences between the 362 and the 482 Maximizers other than the fact that the 482 has 2 units in it?
    Is the 482 really worth $100 more?

And what does "ganged stereo" mean.

Thanks,

-KB

9. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Ganged stereo means stereo I/Os

BUT

only one set of knobs to control them. The amount of processing is equal for both left and right. This is bad only when you want to run 2 truly independent signals through it. You can, but you will not have independent processing control. I only run one channel. I like it, but I'm cheap so I keep thinking I should've tried the 1/3rd space at $60 or bought a used one.

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I have an old BBE 401 and I use it every day. My rig, be it at home or live is incomplete without a BBE.

11. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun