Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BBE sonic Maximizer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sabo, May 18, 2003.

1. Sabo

Sabo

May 18, 2003
    How you set yours up? I am looking to get one of these ASAP, since i play a very clean sound with low lows and some nice klack. I am looking for the best way to run it and some ideas on setting it up! thanks in advance!

SABO

2. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I run mine via my effects loop with both knobs at about 1 o'clock (sometimes straight up).

3. I run mine in the effects loop.
    Process & Contour straight up at 12:00.

A 362NR is what I would recommend.
    The Noise Reduction feature works great.

4. My 422A was too easiliy overdriven but worked best in the FX loop.
    Some offer "manual" vs. "auto" processor modes...not sure what that means exactly but when the latter was engaged I noticed a peculiar "issue." I sample live on stage with my Headrush. It is important to make the two signals as different tonally from each other as possible, clears up the mud and all. So, one signal very subby, the other with more high emphasis. What really bugged me out was that I could SWEAR that the high-EQ'd samples were going out of time. No problem I thought, I just need to improve my sampling technique...but when really digging into anmy seriously thick riff, I could HEAR the high line falling back, like when you are pushing the beat to much. This really was tripping me out a bit until I remembered what it is exactly that the BBE process does; delays the high frequencies so that both the upper and lower freq. waves hit you at roughly the same time. My highs were being held back. In "manual" mode, this wasn't a problem.....kinda weird tho'.
    :meh:

5. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    And I now own this unit... since I'm not sampling (yet) I've not encountered this issue, and it treats me well. I use it all the time, and I'm pleased with the job it does. It just happens that the low eq knob is centered just where I needed a low band, so that saves me fiddling with my semi-parametric.

6. judd levison

judd levison

Jun 2, 2003
    No problem I thought, I just need to improve my sampling technique...but when really digging into anmy seriously thick riff, I could HEAR the high line falling back, like when you are pushing the beat to much. This really was tripping me out a bit until I remembered what it is exactly that the BBE process does; delays the high frequencies so that both the upper and lower freq. waves hit you at roughly the same time. My highs were being held back. In "manual" mode, this wasn't a problem.....kinda weird tho'.
    :meh: [/B][/QUOTE]

Mad,

just wanted to add my two cents here..i'm the product guy at BBE and the theory is that because the higher frequency elements of a complex waveform are more impeded (higher freq's=higher impedance), the Sonic Maximizer actually very slightly delays the low frequency elements. there is no delay of the high frequency elements.

from the BBE website:

"In order to address these problems inherent in basic loudspeaker design, BBE Sound, Inc. has developed a circuit that has two primary functions. The first adjusts the phase relationships of the low, mid and high frequencies. Since a loudspeaker's natural tendency is to add progressively longer delay times to higher frequencies, the BBE sound processing system adds progressively longer delay times to lower frequencies. This creates a kind of "mirror" curve to the time delay curve created by the speaker, neutralizing its phase distortion."

the idea is that by delaying the low end slightly, you give the high freq elements, the attack and "klack", a chance to develop.

i'm open for questions...

7. odie

odie Supporting Member

djnylonpants- I have a BBE 362 and my problem is that it will push my amp to clipping. I have an Eden Wt-400 turned up to 12'oclock pre and 9-10 o'clock master. The no-no clip light for the eq or the amp clip(cant remember for sure which) will come on when doing slap and pop's or harder playing.

Why is this? Anyway to work around it?

8. judd levison

judd levison

Jun 2, 2003
    how do you have the 362 configured in your system?

effects loop? and where in your circuit is your effects loop? after the preamp gain?

in an effects-loop config, you might be slamming the 362 too hard...it has a lot less headroom than a 482i/882i and your preamp gain will determine how hard the 362 gets hit.

try backing off the preamp gain a couple of ticks and see if that helps.

9. odie

odie Supporting Member

It is in the effects loop. To be honest Im not sure if it is pre gain or post. I never used a loop on this amp before(had it for 3 years) always used pedals.

I'll try turning the gain down some. But wont I lose headroom?

If not running in the loop, do you recommend running into the front of the amp?? As in plugging bass into the BBE???:confused:

10. judd levison

judd levison

Jun 2, 2003
    nope, don't plug the bass into the 362 direct (you can check out our new bass preamp for that!).

the effects loop is the ticket.

typically the effects loop is after your preamp.

i think that having the preamp gain run up at 12 o'clock is driving the input of the 362 too hard and that's what's distorting...of course your amplifier section is then amplifying the distortion.

run the preamp gain down a bit, you won't lose headroom per se, you'll be matching the input to the 362 much better though.

you can then run your master up a bit more to make up for the gain.

give it a shot and let me know...

11. odie

odie Supporting Member

Actually the light that was coming on was the output limit light.

I will try it tonight at practice and will see how it goes. Is their any hints or tricks for settings?? Or just use my ear?

By the way thanx for making your self available here at TB!!

12. judd levison

judd levison

Jun 2, 2003
    this all sounds like the 362 is being driven too hard...sorry to sound like a broken record...i think backing out the preamp a bit will solve it.
    try your preamp gain between 9 and 10 o'clock.

try the BBE starting at 12 o'clock for both settings and then adjust to your taste.

thanks for the support!