1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BBE Sonic Maximizers (Rack)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JSBassman61, Jan 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Anyone With Experience with these, Planning on putting what would be my 1st rack together, so far all that's in it will be the GBE Genz Benz 1200 head, it will power a Genz Benz 4x10 Uber cab. Thoughts?

2. A decade ago nearly every bass player in my area had one. These days I rarely see them anymore. I had a couple and I honestly preferred the pedal version more than the rack.

JSBassman61 likes this.
  3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I like 'em...still have a couple of rack units. They're fairly inexpensive used. If you're happy with the GB head, you may not be doing yourself any favors, though. I use the SM's in my somewhat-marginal PA.

Riis

JSBassman61 likes this.
  4. MrBassman17

MrBassman17

Dec 30, 2011
    Brewster, NY
    I have one that was in my gig rack system, but has now moved to my rack for practice, being replaced with the Stomp Box version for gigs. Anyway, the rack version does everything that the box does, and, if applicable, you can get the two channel version if you have need! I run it through the EFX loop circuit on the Ampeg SVT 7 Pro I'm using for practice/rehearsal so I can use the foot switch to turn it on or off as required.

JSBassman61 likes this.
  5. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    The rack versions of the Sonic Maximizer have high frequency expansion that the pedal versions don't have. The expansion will lower the HF level as the input signal envelope trails off. This can be useful to knock down some background hiss when no signal is present. I think that the HF expansion would have been really useful in the pedal version.:thumbsup:

-Frank

Driven Crane and JSBassman61 like this.
  6. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    They're arguably larger and more expensive than the reward they offer -- i.e., not a lot of bang for the buck -- but if you like what they do there's no downside. It's not like they'll kill your children or cause the audience to run screaming from the venue. If rackspace wasn't at a premium and I had roadies for every gig I do I might stick an 882i in my rig.

But there are lots of other products out there that do more useful stuff imho.

JSBassman61 likes this.
  7. Essentially just a non-true-bypass mid scoop.

Beheroth and JSBassman61 like this.
  8. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    In fairness, there's a lot more to it than that...but in actual usage you can emulate about ~85% of the effect with a well-shaped mid scoop, so the difference is practically moot.

Depending on what tone-shaping tools one already had at one's disposal (and/or how sophisticated or nerdy one's tweaking interest/ability was) the BBE might be a faster, more efficient way of getting that sound. E.g., if your current preamp uses something like the classic Fender Tone Stack where all three EQ bands are highly interactive, it'd be harder to consistently and reliably get the same mid scoop effect that the BBE does trivially.

So if anyone was looking to justify their BBE purchase, there's that. :)

JSBassman61 likes this.
  9. I love the band chimaira but really dislike their mixes... then found an old magazine that stated both the bassist and both guitarists used a BBE and it was like arggg a whole mix just devoid of mids!

JSBassman61, Korladis and Bob_Ross like this.
  10. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    There used to be a video of the Sonic Maximizer showing how it messes with your signal when bypassed. But I can not find that video anymore. This video shows that when bypassed it is hard wired bypassed... zero affect on the signal:

-Frank

JSBassman61 likes this.