Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BBE Sonic Mazimizer? Whats The Deal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SpectorBag, Jul 14, 2000.

1. SpectorBag

SpectorBag

Jul 12, 2000
    I've heard mass things about a BBE Sonic Maximizer. I know what they do and all that, I just need some opinions. Any thoughts? I'm thinking of buying one. Tell me what you all think about em.

2. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    I always use one on everything! Somebody tell me they make anything sound worse!

3. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SpectorBag:
    I've heard mass things about a BBE Sonic Maximizer. I know what they do and all that, I just need some opinions. Any thoughts? I'm thinking of buying one. Tell me what you all think about em.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What would you be using it for? Just your bass? live playing? recording?

4. SpectorBag

SpectorBag

Jul 12, 2000
    Probably for all 3 things you said, on my live rig, in the studio

5. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    I too have heard some good things about this thing. I still am a little reluctant. I saw an ad for one in a Guitar Center store by me for $80. I wanted to go in and play with it but never got a chance. Should I go buy one?

[This message has been edited by rmp5s (edited July 19, 2000).]

6. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    I used to have one in my rack, but I really didn't hear much of a difference. However, I sold it to my dad (also a bass player, and not overly gadget-obsessed like me) and he swears by it. So: YMMV.

My recommendation? Go to the store and plug it into YOUR rig with YOUR bass. It's a pain, but it's always worth it when you're spending more than 100 bucks on anything, IMHO - if the store balks on bringing your gear inside, spend your money elsewhere.

------------------
    Mark Gollihur
    Bassist, Second Story
    http://www.second-story.net
    http://www.mp3.com/secondstory

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Mark, Welcome to the board. I have read a lot of your posts on TBL in the past. Is your dad Bob Gollihur?

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy.
    -BW

8. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
  9. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    I've had one for the last year and I'm stuck on this thing. Makes a HUGE difference in my sound. Really tightens up the mids and cleans up the low end. Very easy to use. If you can get one for less than $100, by all means try it out and if you like what it does, don't hesitate to grab it.

10. 810wmb

810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    i need some help please.

i bought a bbe 362nr yesterday. i have a swr 350 head. when plugged into the effects loop (i do have it hooked up correctly) the blend control only works at almost all the way off, or all the way on. when set at half (12 o'clock) with the 362 off, the volume of my rig drops to almost nothing.

in the store when it was demo'ed, the 350 head there was set at 12 o'clock, and you could punch in and out with no volume drop.

in the store the product demo'ed was the 2 channel version, i have the 1 channel version. is there a difference between the two?

thanks for any help. it's sunday and i would hate to have to wait till tomorrow to find out something.

11. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Spectorbag --

See my thread about this subtle but effective gadbet below. I love it.

810wmb --

perhaps you could look at www.bbesound.com for a place to email with questions...

------------------
    * eli@ilovefretless.com*

12. 810wmb

810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    eli - thanks. i phoned the dealer, it's screwed up. they are going to replace it.

13. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

My bass instructor brought his BBE Sonic Maximizer over to my house one time years ago. I had been working as his roadie and he had it in his rack. With all the equipment in his rack it was hard to tell just what impact the BBE actually had. So when he brought it to my house, we first played my bass without it, then with it. The difference just blew me away! It was so much fuller, liver, warmer. I just can't say enough about it. So when I started acquiring equipment for a rack of my own, a BBE Sonic wasMaximizer one thing I bought. I don't use that rack equipment except for live gigs. It's too much bother to hook all that up for just practicing. Jason Oldsted

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have a BBE DI-100 which has the sonic maximizer circuit in it. I like what it does to my sound, but it seems to be very noisy when no signal is present ... hissing, mostly. Once a signal is applied, the noise stops (not just masked ... it stops). So, I don't care for that aspect of it. Do the other units do this?

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    i've used bbe's for over ten years,and in that time i have changed basses,amps,and cabinets many times,the only constant piece
    is the bbe! they also sound great on stereos
    and your home recording equipment.

------------------
    aloha, jerry

16. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Munjibunga, you may have a problem with your unit, you're BBE unit that is. [​IMG] All of the BBE's I've come across, including mine, are very quiet.

17. Does anyone use this in combination with a Sans Amp Tech 21 bass driver? My guitar bud uses one and recommends it for anything. Currently my board from start to finish is a Line 6 wireless; Korg Pitchblack tuner; MXR M87 Compressor; Sansamp Tech 21; Rocktron Hush; Malekko Diabolik; EHX Freeze; SolidGoldFX Stutterbox. I'm thinking about adding the Sansamp bass boost chorus. What do ya'll think?

18. Shabz

Shabz

Jun 20, 2014
    Watch first:

cliffs:
    bypass ruins your signal thus making it sound "better" activated

seansv, bassie12 and Dominic DeCosa like this.
  19. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

So in conclusion, the BBE has two shelving filters, the low starting at 300hZ and the high at 5khZ and in bypass it rolls off the low end starting at 300hZ and down significantly. The phase coherence gobbldygook is just an analysis of a two band shelving EQ and description of the phase anomalies created by the shelving circuitry. All EQ messes with phase.

20. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

There may be an VCA circuit controlling the addition of the high boost, to help prevent hiss with boost. No signal, no boost. Signal present, set boost present.