1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BBE sonic stomp pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by aron86, Nov 30, 2006.

1. aron86

aron86

Mar 14, 2006
    is this pedal worth buying?advice?does it work?

2. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    I guess it depends on what you want it to do ...

:) ... I use mine all the time, when I play slower songs and need a little fatter sound is when I usually kick mine in.

3. Winemule

Winemule Guest

Feb 27, 2005
    The BBE Sonic Stomp is the only pedal I use, and I leave it on all the time. I don't pretend to know what an "envelope distortion correction" device is, but whatever this little fella is, it is the best $99 I've ever spent on an effect. What it does is provide presence and punch--even at practice volumes, you can "feel" the bass.

By the way--they say you can't get P-bass sound out of a J-bass. I beg to differ! Swapping out the stock pups for a set of Seymour Duncan Antiquity IIs and adding the BBE box gives you monstrous P-bass "medicine ball" bottom.

4. vcs700s

vcs700s

Nov 17, 2006
    Stephenson, VA
    I just bought one a few days ago. It is my second BBE effect. I love it and wouldn't be without it.

It came with the power supply and 9v battery. Great deal!

Oh, it is the only pedal I use other than a TU-2.

5. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    Yes. I use a BBE BMAX pre amp that has the sonic maximizer built in. I always leave it on. It fattens up your tone pretty good. If a room sounds too thin (or too boomy/muddy) the maximimizer will usually take care of the problem.The way it was explained to me by a tech. is the reason for your tone not cutting or being muddy is created by the room and or other instruments (guitar,keyboards) and causes phase cacelation leaving certain freqs. weak sounding. The sonic maximizer restructures your signal to prevent phase cancelation leaving you with a nice fat sound. It.s all beyond me. I just know it works great. Although by it self at home it seems pretty subtle, but you certainly notice a big difference if your using it at the gig and turn it off during a song.

6. One of my guitarists has one and loves it. I use a rackmount 362 sonic maximizer, as well. If you don't have a rack setup, then the pedal form is a good way to go.

7. Embryodead

Embryodead Banned

Nov 30, 2005
    Providence, RI
    Would these actually help say a Multiplexer or Bass Synth? I've heard they help a lot as far as helping things track better..would like to know if this is true, if so i'd def invest into a floor model.

8. That sounds wonderfully useful, but it's totally implausible.

Phase cancellation only happens when there's two signals (or reflections) present. This means the sonic stomp would have to be able to monitor the room acoustics somehow and modify the acoustic signature of your amplifier in real time - no processing delay. Something that I would be surprised to see in such a compact and cheap package.

But I must say that all this glowing praise has raised my interest. I'll be sure to check it out!

9. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    I don't think he meant to say it was self correcting , which it most definitely is not .

I love mine, I cannot describe it but , it does sound a lot better with it on than not. I leave it on 95% of the time . The other 5 I forget and quickly "engage"

I will also say that the pedal appears to be built tough, I think I could throw it around , hard , and it would be A-OK.

It is also true -bypass when off and I have no noise or volume /signal reductions or problems.

Comes with a power supply.

check it out;

http://www.bbesound.com/demo/demo.asp

read this , good explanation of what claims to do, scroll down 1/2 to 2/3 for the grits.

http://www.bbesound.com/technologies/BBE_HDS/

10. I'm not having a go at anyone, BTW, but it's easy to mislead people with broad statements like that and I think it's only fair to set things straight.

The info in the link is (somewhat) informative, thanks! Always the way with these highly protected patented ideas, you just wanna know how it works and they only ever give you weasel words and vague, high level descriptions! nngh!

11. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville

Are you saying BBE made broad statements or are you saying I did.?:confused: I sure hope I didn't offend you. I edited my post to remove the statement it actually does the BBE thing to "what they claim it to do" I feel I ruffled you man , sorry.

I own the pedal, I expressed how I felt about it , honestly.

I don't know if this product is just another EQ in a box. or if it actually does what it says but I do know there is a difference that is quite pleasing to me .

12. No no no, wait, hold the phone, I'm not agro at anyone! It's all smiles and kittens over here! :hyper: :D :cool:

I guess I was saying that the way the techo explained it to funkinbottom was kinda laymen-speak and could give the impression that the box was doing something that it isn't capable of. That's all.

What's frustrating for me, because I'm an EE, is that the somewhat flowery descriptions of the technology just leave me gagging for some technical info to get my teeth into!

13. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah - tell me about it...

I went-over to the BBE site, and noticed that they make one with a single-ended noise reduction built-in. Well I've been lloking all-over for a DYNAMIC LOW PASS type noise reduction - ya-think I could find-out if the 362NR has a dynamic filter? Err.

Uhh... does anyone know?

Joe