Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BBE Stinger Pedal for Bass????

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by camerondye, Apr 9, 2001.

1. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    BBE used to make a Sonic Maximizer pedal for guitar/bass, Does anybody own or owned one? What have the results been when using the pedal? Any info will help
    cam

2. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    Anybody?

3. A guy (knowledgeable) in a music / PA gear shop near here uses one in his guitar FX chain for distortion - said (to paraphrase) "you turn it on, and in that distorted wrecked wall of noise suddenly you can hear the notes again".

Hope this helps. Good luck finding one.

4. Big Bob

Big Bob

Jun 5, 2008
    sorry for the late reply :) I just found talkbass

I have had a stinger for a long time. My bass sounds wonderful through it!
    I would say that I have it on more than off.

if you can find one, I can highly recomend it.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Awesome archeology! ;) I have wondered idly whether their old Stinger sounds different from their current Sonic Maximizer.

6. Big Bob

Big Bob

Jun 5, 2008
    I have never done a side by side comparison of them, though I have used many different versions of their products in different settings.

I am not sure why, but the Stinger pedal seems to work very well for my live set up. I probably wouldn't use it in the studio, though I don't know why. Probably an adversion to using pedals in the studio. It might be a bit noisy. I have never really paid attention to the noise level when gigging. (I have too many other sources of noise)

I find that the Stinger is very easy to dial in a great sound that has all the tonal qualities that I am looking for. I will try and get the best sound I can using standard eq and such, then when I turn the Stinger on, it just sounds better.