Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BBN5 Upgrades

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by geoffzilla, Feb 7, 2002.

1. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    I've gone through the search engine, and come up with some decent info, but I'm looking for specific experiences. My bandmate has a Yamaha BBN5 that I know he'd sell to me for cheap if I asked. It plays pretty well, and I'd like to have a 5 string around. I've heard of people upgrading the electronics with very good results. Has anyone out there done this? If so, what pickups, and what was the final cost/verdict?

2. Geoffzilla, I have that bass and like the sound of the pickups just as they are. I don't know of any drop in replacement pups, but, if I may, let me suggest a different route. Instead of spending $ on new pups, consider getting a good DI/EQ stomp box. I have a Yamaha NE-1 parametric EQ, and it makes the BBN5's stock pups sound more mellow or raunchy depending on how you set it. My experience with this has gotten me interested in an Aguilar DB-924 preamp, or a Sansamp, or the new MXR M-80 or something similar. It's just an idea, but, unless you really can't stand the stock pups, check this option out. You can even bring your bass to the store to hear what it'll sound like right there.

Good Luck.
    Mike J.

3. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    Thanks Michael. I think you might be right. I also might be confusing my unhappiness with the pots with pickup problems. At the least, I probably need to clean/set it up, get a fresh set of strings on it, and play through a good amp before I do anything to it. As of now, I've only heard it poorly set up and with grubby, mismatched strings ;)