Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BC Rich and other cool basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheInsane, Jun 7, 2002.

1. I was just going to introduce myself first. I am a 18 year old male from Sweden. I have played bass for four/five years (allthough I have only played "serious" for about a year and a half/two years). My previous metal band called Pherium (metallica/megadeth inspired) decided to throw in the towel about a month ago and I am starting a new band with a drummer I know. We will probably play power metal this time around.

I currently play a Williams bass. My uncle helped me pick out a good beginners bass for me so it is a bit lighter than usuall basses and the "body" is a bit smaller. I like it alot but I recently graduated and got loads of money ;) to buy a new bass for (of course I wont sell my first one). I am currently thinking about a BC Rich bass (warlock). For now it is only because of the cool look. From discussions I have read people seem to either love or hate those basses. I need some advice on this. I don´t want just "BC Rich rules" or "BC Rich sucks" replies. I want to know WHY you say that. As I said I am looking for a "cool" bass. The shape of the bass is important to me now (since I already own a "normal" bass). But the sound is of course important to. If you have any other advices for metal basses they are more than welcome to.

2. Insane, welcome to talkbass.

About BC Rich basses, I would reccomend the USA neck through Warlock. The other models are not as well constructed. The only consistant problem with BC Rich basses that I've noticed, is the lack of power in the pick ups. The dual precision pups sound awsome, but their output in weak, even for a passive bass. If I were to buy one, I'd replace the stock pick ups almost immediately.

Use the search function about BC Rich basses, and you will find a lot of info. We've had some pretty good discussions around here about them.

3. oh yeah! That would make a great metal bass!

:rolleyes: :D

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, it seems that sound and looks are usually (but not always) mutually exclusive. The BC Rich basses, except for the USA made models, have poor construction (I've heard of quite a few that have neck warping problems), as Gwar said, rather horrid electronics packages, along with a body shape that happens to not fit a lot of standard cases. You'll also deal with varying degrees of workmanship on the frets and finish, I seem more BC Richs with shipping damage than other basses, which mean either they don't ship well, or they are inherently not as strong (though I can't tell you which, I suspect the latter) "normal basses"

The looks should be the LAST thing you should be worried about, with , Contruction, sound, and playability coming first on the priority list. TO buy something for it's sheer asthetic apeal is going to get you a lesser instrument, flat out.
    Besides, by and large, the metal community could care less what your bass looks like, I think the fans would be more impressed by what you DO with a bass, not how pointy it is. That said, if you MUST have a "cool" bass, here's a few that don't fail...

The Schecter Scorpion
    [​IMG]

ESP Tom Araya Model

Heck, most of ESP's basses ESP Basses

5. oh yeah! That would make a great metal bass!

He... LOL

Thanks for the comments on BC Rich Chaos. Are there any other cool looking and good sounding basses out there? With cool looking I mean for a metal bass, not cool looking jazz bass :)

Also what do you think about a metal bass without frets? I have played a fretless bass once and it had the coolest sound I have ever heard (not many metal bands use fretless basses and I listen mainly to metal). That would be pretty cool I think. But I do need painted frets on it otherwise it would be to damn hard playing (at least the first year or so).

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I believe Steve Digiorgio uses fretless basses at times, with varying degrees of sucess. Simply put, without that sharper "tang" of frets, the bass tends to get lost in metal.

7. The looks should be the LAST thing you should be worried about, with , Contruction, sound, and playability coming first on the priority list. TO buy something for it's sheer asthetic apeal is going to get you a lesser instrument, flat out.

Besides, by and large, the metal community could care less what your bass looks like, I think the fans would be more impressed by what you DO with a bass, not how pointy it is. That said, if you MUST have a "cool" bass, here's a few that don't fail...

Yeah I know... But the thing is that I already have a "normal" bass and I want a flashy one to :) Yeah of course they won´t say that a bassist sucks because of the shape/colour of the instrument but it is good for the eye to see something cool to. Cool bass + good bass player = a cool experience :)

But I do agree with you and I wont buy a bass without having played it first.

The Araya bass is very cool and from my experiences with Slayer (both live and on record) he has a awesome bass sound. But the bass is custom made and therefor very expensive.

The ESP Bass (F-series) was VERY cool. Much nicer than the BC Rich bass. But oh well I still have to find a store that actually have those basses so that I can play them.

I believe Steve Digiorgio uses fretless basses at times, with varying degrees of sucess. Simply put, without that sharper "tang" of frets, the bass tends to get lost in metal.

Yeah that can be a downside to it. But it would be very cool indeed.

Thanks for the comments.

8. I like the Schecter basses, like Brendan posted. The Tribal and Devil are pretty cool too. They've got some intricate fingerboard inlay work. They have a wicked looking headstock, and the bodies have a classic look to them. I dunno, Schecters are cool looking basses that don't get a whole lot of recognition.

Fretless really hasn't had much of a place in metal. It's a much more subtle tone than fretted, and can easily get lost in the mix of pounding double bass drums, and wailing guitars. I think Jackson has some fretless basses, but I never really got into Jackson. Way too 80's for my taste.

But anyway, good luck on the hunt for a new metal bass. Check out the thread "Gothic Custom basses" for some ideas too. :)

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hmmm....strange how your signature reads "just follow your heart/don't listen to the crowd" and the appearance of your bass is as important as it's sound. Most people won't even see what your instrument looks like from the audience anyway, unless it's a huge eight-string or neon orange or something. Anyway, Ibanez makes some fair low-cost "metal" basses, better than any BC Rich I've tried thus far, although I haven't tried the neck-through Warlock previously mentioned.

10. tummage

tummage

Apr 23, 2002
    New Orleans, La
  11. As well as all the above mentioned basses, try these:

Gibson Thunderbird

Or a Rex Brown Signature Spector, with the holographic finish.
    [​IMG]

12. Hmmm....strange how your signature reads "just follow your heart/don't listen to the crowd" and the appearance of your bass is as important as it's sound.

Yeah, it is important to me this time around. I will use both my old bass and my new one. My old one is a red Williams (looking quite "normal") and my new one is, probably, a black "pointy" bass. My signature is a quote from one hell of a song by the group HammerFall and I do agree with it I just need opinions on great looking basses. And if I don´t like it I won´t buy it. Do what thou wilt is the whole law :) It is important that I feel that it is cool not necessarily all people that listens to what I play.

Anyway thanks for all the posts. I haven´t tried any bass as of yet and I´m only searching through the net at this time. I have only come across this one:

B.C. Rich Warlock Platinum Series with double P-mikes black 5.995:- Skr (about $599 US dollars).

I will go to the store and try it someday next week and see what I think of it. I like all basses you have posted info about here (exept barroso´s bass www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=49807 :)) The problem is to find a store that actually sells these kind of basses. If anyone know about a good store in Sweden (around Stockholm) please post here.

Anyway thanks for all the posts guys (girls?). I will tell you what I have bought when I, hm well, have bought it.

13. Fangry

Fangry

Apr 27, 2002
    Helsinki, Finland

Yes, the USA ESP Tom Araya is ridiculously expensive (Finnish list €3807), but the Korean LTD TA-500 version is cheaper (list here €1220). I tried it in Helsinki a while ago and loved it. It felt really good and looked great.

Recommended.

14. Definately check out ESP, if I'm not mistaking Magnus Rosen of Hammerfall also plays ESP, I like ESP's....

15. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
  16. This will always be my fav. Metal bass, check out the attachment.....

17. Col! I just didn't think the bright yellow, orange, or ged would fit in metal, but that black one looks pretty sweet.

18. tummage

tummage

Apr 23, 2002
    New Orleans, La
    Thel, I figured out how to post this one. it's in my earlier link.
    Hope you like, tummage[​IMG]