Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BC Rich Bronze Warlock good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Basroil, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Basroil

Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    Ive heard good things and bad about it. Im looking to buy a new bass, and it should be fine for me really, because Ive been playing on a Drive. The main thing Im wondering about this is how long it lasts, because I want it to last me awhile. Help is appreciated! :)

2. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I wouldn't go that far, but never get the Bronze BC rich. If you're worried about cash, go for something that has a better sound but maybe not the look of a BC Rich. But, if BC Rich is in your soul, I wouldn't go any cheaper than the NJ model.

Besides, any bass that you treat well will last you a long time. I have a BC Rich Virgin Platinum model from the late 80's-early 90's that I got for a steal, and had to do some work on it myself, and I've had that puppy for about 11 years. But, it is the crappiest out of all of my basses.

3. gravaged

gravaged

Dec 9, 2005
    Alabama
    Those things are neck-heavy like crazy.. you could definitely get something that plays better, sounds better, and is put-together better for the same money.
    IMHO, the cheap BC Rich guitars are sold to budding badasses/metal heads based solely on their sharp lines and shapes and are generally an insult to B.C. Rico. Your mileage may vary.. try one out at the shop if you can; bring along your strap and see how it really handles though. and just remember you're only a paint job away from hair metal when you're holding a Warlock :-D

4. Agreed on both parts.

5. Mixmasta J

Mixmasta J

Dec 4, 2004
    just dont expect to get any other gig besides a metal band, because you will get laughed out of the room

I've seen this before :scowl:

6. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Can't a guy enjoy metal AND jazz? If you got a higher end BC Rich, you can play both! :D Anyway, just because somebody likes the way a bass looks doesn't mean he can't play or shouldn't play other stuff...

7. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I may be dating myself here, but I remember when the BC Rich Mocking Bird and Bitch were high end guitars. My how times have changed. Of course that was before they moved their Mfg.
    Did someone buy him out?

8. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    A lot of the lower end BC Rich's are made in korea now. Two of their older luthiers moved to Nevada to work for Ed Roman. They now have their own line of outrageous guitars called Abstract Guitars. Boutique prices, BTW..but if you're interested, here's his link:

http://www.edromanguitars.com/index.htm

Be sure to check out his rants. Some of them are hilarious. He goes on about the whole BC Rich thing...He's been a collector for years.

9. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I've run across them before, I remember the PRS McCarty thing befroe, couldn't find anything on BC Rich, wish I could that would be interesting. Man does he go after PRS for being a Dist., I own a couple and don't blame him about the McCarty. A salesman told me that was the one to have, I took it back. Figured if I wanted a Gibson, I would get one, as a matter of fact, I have one.

10. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Lets not even begin to talk about Ed Roman. :meh:

As all here know, I play and love my BCR basses.

However, to answer the original poster's question, don't waste your money. If you want a BCR, start looking at an NJ series or up. Trust me.
    Since you didn't put a smiley with your statement... :eyebrow:

11. gravaged

gravaged

Dec 9, 2005
    Alabama
    Yeah the higher end BC Riches and the US- Made ones are alright.. the bronze series though, pretty laughable. I would really dig a US- Mockingbird bass...

12. I agree, dont look at anything lower than an NJ. I had an NJ Beast and it played pretty good although it was heavy as hell and quite awkward to play with those sharp points and such, but the playability and sound was fine for the metal I was playing at the time. If you like Riches, get a Rich, Warwicks and Spectors are not everyones taste. If you take care of your Rich, it will last a while. My NJ felt very stable and the preamp was hot, to the point I had to turn my amps power way back. Not to step on any toes but, there are alot of people on this board that think if you play an oddly shaped bass that costs less than a grand, youre a poser. Lucky for BC Rich, there are folks that like that, that dont have a thousand to spend. My advice is to save your money and get the NJ and enjoy your BC Rich.