Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bc rich custom quote

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by neptoon, Aug 4, 2004.

1. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, i've been thinking about pulling the trigger on a 4 string custom bc rich with the ignitor body shape...i've been thinking about it off and on for a year or so, and since i still think i would dig having one, i called up a custom shop dealer and had him get a quote...this is the hard part...for a 4 string bc rich custom supreme with that body shape lists for almost 6 grand...sweet bejeezus, man! i know that customs are expensive, i've even owned a few custom instruments, but dear lord...i don't think having that bass is worth that to me...too bad, because that is a sharp looking axe (no pun intended)

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Geez, that's a whole lotta money for not much instrument.

3. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    For that price, Bernie better crawl out of his grave and make it for you himself.

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i was kinda thinking the same thing myself...this quote wasn't taking into account that i wanted active seymour duncan elex and SD soapbars, maple body, maple neck-through, widow headstock, no inlays, bla bla bla...that was for their normal passive P-J configuration, badassII bridge, no binding, mahogany body, and through mahogany neck, diamond markers and stuff...man...

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

hey, that's kinda creepy, but i could see a dead guy building those pointy basses...bernie, what say you?

6. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I bet you could get a decent luthier to make you more or less the same bass with the same bodystyle (but no BC Rich headstock decal, obviously) for less than a third of that. And it'd probably be better made... :eyebrow:

Russ :bassist:

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Frankly, for that, you could get 2-3 "respectable" luthiers to give you a body in the style of Ignitor. Ignitoresque, if you will.

No reason to pay 6 grand for one.

http://www.mosercustomshop.com/main.html

I think he'd make you something you want for half the price. Hell, he's BC Rich, too...

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, neal moser is old school bc rich...he's the guy that designed the 'bich' if i remember correctly...and yeah, i could definitely go to someone else with that body shape...

9. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts

That Evil Bitch Rocks!!!! Now we need him to make a 12 string bass out of that shape with a Buckeye Burl Bookmatch....

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, that is a pretty cool design, but it would suck to get it vaught in your eye :D

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I actually like the ignitor style. It looks like it might be a good bass for your lap. And certrainly wouldn't balance any worse than any Telecaster/Les Paul style singlecut.

A litte pointy for me, but I'd get an Ignitor before a Warlock or something.

12. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    It is beautiful, but not the kind of instrument I would take on the road, those edges look so delicate. :meh:

13. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    this is retarded, because it's only the shape that i like...and forget about these guys doing a different pickup config with soapbars or narrow soaps...'it's just impossible' or using a bridge other than a badass...and like an ash body with a burled redwood carved top? oh, hell no...this bass, in just it's most basic configuration is going to take upwards of two freakin' years...this is ass...i give up...

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The other problem is that most luthiers have these "scruples" things that prevent them from doing someone elses body style. Shame, really.