1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BC Rich Eagle Replacement Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Crane358, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Crane358

Crane358

Jun 21, 2011
    Hi Gang,

I have 1980's BC Rich Eagle. Original owner :)

Early on I became frustrated with the pickup settings. Seems like I was always fiddling to find the right sound. So I swapped them out for some active Alembic pickups and a simple volume control for each pickup and 1 master tone. Huge tone improvement right away and I was free of all the tone tweaking. Yeah!

Fast forward 36 years and the Alembic's seem to have lost their tone. Particularly the low end.

I'm starting to look into potential replacements and I'm wondering if the Talk Bass community could make some recommendations.

Cheers,
    Randy

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Double-P? My suggestions, in no particular order, and not based on any personal experience, but I will try them someday:

DiMarzio Split P (not Model P)
    Delano PMVC
    Wilde P46
    Sentell B25
    Another set of Alembics

3. sikamikanico

sikamikanico Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Iowa
    Eagle - that's dual reverse P bass? They originally came with DiMarzios? If not, I'd give those a try (Edit: I would go with Model P)... if yes, I'd still give those a try, but keep simpler wiring... Perhaps two 500K vol pots and tone... I don't know, sometimes pickups sound better when we fiddle less with them. So maybe even just a switch + vol + tone?

If you don't want DiMarzios, of course you could go with Alembics again... Perhaps EMGs would also work for you, I think they're designed similarly to Alembics (active). Lee Sklar put them to some good use in his Frankenstein, but I'm not sure what pickup model would come close in EMGs lineup today (his were an early prototype, I think)...

Then again, you could probably try a range of more traditional, passive alnico V pickups, lately EMG Geezer Butler sets are popular. Someone on this forum put them in a dual reverse P bass he made and liked them. I suppose it would help if you let us know what you didn't like about the original pickups (and what they were, if they weren't Dimarzios) and what you liked about the Alembics...

4. Crane358

Crane358

Jun 21, 2011
    Thanks for your replies. I wasn't getting notices so sorry for the slow reply.

I'm not sure what dual reverse P bass means but there are 2 P bass style pickups.

The original pickups were Dimarzio's and after 30 plus years I honestly don't know where they are. The Dimarzio's themselves weren't that bad. I remember hating the electronics. As I said in my original post, I was always fiddling and never quite happy with the tone.

I have loved the Alembics from the day I put them in, simply because there was better sound and significantly less fiddling. But they are over 30 years old now. I don't know how long they should last but they have lost some low end growl and the G string is noticeably quieter than it used to be and sounds really thin. Can a pickup wear out?

I'm going to look at some EMG's but also have someone check out my wiring and make sure it is up to snuff. Maybe I have something else going on.

Thanks,
    Randy

5. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups
    Nordstrand

Crane358 likes this.
  6. gfen

gfen

Aug 21, 2014
    lehigh valley
    stayed at a holiday inn, once...
    A split Precision style pickup puts the EA coil in front of the DG coil.
    A reverse split P puts the EA behind the DG.

If it's what's in your avatard picture, it's a reverse split P. Doesn't mean anything, really, from the pickup construction POV. A split pup is the same regardless, it's just how they mount into the body.

DiMarzio still makes the Model P, so you can easily find brand new to replace if you wanted to. I've been bouncing around some different ideas for one of my dual P/P basses, and right now am stuck between the Model P (aggressive sounding), the Lace Aluma-P ("modern" sounding) and the Bill Lawrence P-46 (vintage-y sounding).

As a helpful note, in the two P/P model basses I have, from the factory, the output levels on both pickups were the same. I know Jazz types often favour a higher output pickup in the bridge, but as far as my sample pool of two goes that's not the case for a P/P.

Crane358 likes this.