1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BC Rich Heritage Series Mockingbird, thoughts? anything like vintage?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gurzil, Dec 18, 2006.

1. gurzil

gurzil

Jul 24, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I stopped by a semi-distant GC on the way to a holiday party, and spotted one of these.

Mockingbird_Heritage_Classic_SM.
    (pic from their site)

I have been wanting to try a vintage US BC Rich for a while now, so I picked it up to try it. And I liked it. The neck felt nice, it had a fat sound to it, and the construction looked really good. I know that bound necks are a visual addition, but I do tend to like how they feel. I put it down before I got too attached to it. :) The bass is made in China, and so far all the information I have found on this bass is the bullet point features from their web page, copied everywhere else.

http://www.bcrich.com/basses/mockingbirdshape.asp

Has anyone tried this bass and been able to compare it to the NJ series, and/or to vintage USA made BC Rich basses?

2. Machines

Machines

Dec 1, 2005
    Birmingham, UK
    Moderator: basschat.co.uk
    I think they look fantastic and at the right price i'd consider one.

3. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    Yea, I saw one at GC to, the other day.

Mockingbirds are my favorite bass.

It looked gorgeous.

Last Mockingbird I had, I bought in '95 at a place in LA. Had 2 soapbar active EMG's

Neck had been cracked by the headstock. Still was nice bass. I picked it up for 500 with a flight case. Sold it in '98 to pay rent :crying:

4. i think they're ok, but the one i tried out had a horribly weak e string and was full of dead spots...try before you buy!

5. Lorne

Lorne

Nov 21, 2005
    Devon U.K.
    I think the top wood (If it is even wood) looks awefully thin

Other than that,visually it looks good,and if I could get one over here cheap enough,I would consider it

Haven't seen one over here yet,so can't compare it to any of my USA B.C.Rich basses-sorry

6. Asomodai

Asomodai

Jan 21, 2006
    London UK
    Ever since getting your old NJ Mock lorne, i have been thinking of getting one of these heritage ones. See how the moolah pans out mind :)

7. Lorne

Lorne

Nov 21, 2005
    Devon U.K.

Cool mate-let me know how it goes:)

8. Asomodai

Asomodai

Jan 21, 2006
    London UK
    Will do man. I just recently taken purchase of a new Burns guitar and a new tele :D Damn widdlesticks. Told you i was after a tele!

9. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Hmm, where is a drool smiley when you need one. I know looks aren't everything but I think it looks sweet. I would assume it should play atleast as good as my NJ Mockingbird and with those killer looks...oh yea! :bassist:

10. gurzil

gurzil

Jul 24, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I spent a little more time with a heritage mockingbird at the other GC today. It was not too encouraging.

To start, the setup was bad enough to be humorous. The strings were lying flat on the fretboard, and this was how they put it out on the floor.. I got an employee to fix it up, and it was a bit better. Also, the main volume knob was poorly attached and loose, and I had to hold it a certain way to get it to work. Although I may not be the best judge, the neck seemd to have a slight twist in it when looking on end.

There was a bit too much fret noise I think, or I just could have been in a picky mood. For the $599 msrp, I felt I should be that picky, so the fret job didn't seem too great in a few spots.

I have some reservations about a neck-through instrument in this price range from China. I think the visit cured my gas for this bass, and reaffirmed I need to visit with a USA or japanese made BC Rich. (Although on second thought, I may try the another one to see if it was a bad apple.) Until then, I may need to pick up an SRX400 or BB414 to cure my general fretted bas gas. :)

11. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    Man I played one in guitar center the other day. These are things I noticed and would consider:

- kinda of bulky neck. Could get annoying.
    - Too much fret buzz
    - Pickups.....suck.
    - Only played well through certain amps.
    - And very fragile finish. (I found that out the hard way :D)

Honestly it was nice bass. Especially for it's price. These are things that you should be ready to fix if you get one.

Hope this helped,
    Jimmy

12. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    I played one in GC a couple weeks ago... i really liked it... a lot like my NJ beast... only w/o the dirty pickup blend pot (mine, not theirs)... it just had different strings on it, or they were just new, so that changed the feel of it for me.

If i hadn't just bought a truck, it would have been mine:bawl:

13. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I'm considering putting my Made in Japan BC Rich Bitch bass up for sale if anybody is interested. Shoot me a PM..