1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bc rich mockingbird bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheGreatSealof, Oct 26, 2017.

1. I just purchased a used BC Rich American mockingbird bass, signed on the backside of the headstock. Good price but pretty well beat up. Pictures later. Controls are my concern. I have no knowledge or experience with this bass manufacturer. Not sure of what controls are designed to do. I have played around tonight trying to familiarize. I think one or more pot is having issues. What I have noticed is when playing E A strings, sound booms. But when playing D G stings, the sound is very thin. I have tried all combination of control settings. Something seems off to me. I have searched for wiring diagrams for this particular bass model but all I get for results is Mockingbird guitar wiring diagrams. No bass. I would appreciate any advice regarding where I might find a wiring diagram specific to this bass.

2. 1979_BCRichCircuit.jpg

3. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    It would be germane to the question if we could see said bass...over the years there have been many configurations of B.C. Rich Mockingbirds...

not seeing the bass in question...my first guess is that your pick up height needs to be adjusted and possibly a new set of strings

9c1ny likes this.
  4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    Ask johnk_10. He designed it.

5. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Inactive

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Can't help you, but congratulations, and hope you solve your problems...

Just love the looks of these basses:
    big%20bc%20rich%20mockingbird%20bassDSCN0454.jpg

A shame they were not done in a short scale model, and I would be all over getting one myself!

Both the actual shape of it, and the fact of the many controls.

I prefer that the controls of a bass are either totally overdone, so it looks like a minor spaceship control panel to operate or keeped absolutely minimal.

Also interesting with the dual P configuration.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    ThinCrappyTone, EdO. and Sartori like this.
  6. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Always liked the look and possibilities of the bass BUT I have heard (and looks like it) the neck dive is b. Too bad.

JIO and Squittolo like this.
  7. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Forums - The Shredder

Nealmoserguitars.com

Neal moser designed the electronics for the b.c. Rich basses. Look him up

9c1ny likes this.
  8. 9c1ny

9c1ny

Dec 28, 2008
    Interested in seeing pics, assuming the sig on the back of the HS is Rico Sr or Jr which would make it late 90's / early 00's, tap a screwdriver blade on the pickups to ensure that they are even functional. If it's split P you might find that they treble side is out and it's the bass side that you're hearing pick up D & G hence the diminished sound. And BCR did build a few short scale (30.5) Mocks and Eagles as well as most Bich basses being short scale

Sartori and byoung93888 like this.
  9. 9c1ny

9c1ny

Dec 28, 2008
    This is for vintage and may or may not be useful to you, need to see pics

Attached Files:

byoung93888 likes this.
  10. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Check the underside of the pickups and make sure the magnets under there are still in place. I had a BC rich Warlock with those kind of DiMarzio Ps like in NoiseNinja's photo and the glue underneath the pickup failed and one of the magnets jumped over to be with the other one leaving my D&G weak and thin like you describe.

11. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Wow, who the heck would expect that one?

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  12. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    It may sound simple, but maybe raise the D-G side? Could use pics to help. I've owned a few old BC Rich and they all thundered across all strings, this doesn't sound normal.

13. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Anybody who's had to do much work on pickups that are 30+ years old. It isn't uncommon.

Sartori likes this.
  14. Wow! Thanks to all that responded. Too many to mention personally but I thank you all. Update: I delivered the instrument to my luthier of choice. He will conduct an in depth anal inspection and I am confident that he will restore it to it's near original specifications. Electronic, not aesthetic appearance, as I mentioned earlier that it very beat up. I enjoy, in a weird perspective, it's many bruises. Pics and my review will follow accordingly. Again, thanks to all of you. I can only hope that one day I will be in a position to provide quality, positive responses to a future question posted as you all have afforded me.

15. Well, I'm sure the bass will be happy to have every orifice inspected.

Sartori and InhumanResource like this.
  16. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Huh. I never would have guessed.

17. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Yeah, what lz4005 said. Sometimes very old pickups have gone dead over the years. With a split coil, since it's basically two pickups, one half can be working and the other half not.

18. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Oh, that I don't doubt. I just never would have thought about a magnet falling out of one side and lodging itself on the other.

19. Ha! Ha! Lol! Seriously. Funny reply. Well, all orifices were inspected. All checked out ok. However, after much playing and trying to find the love, I hate the instrument. The pups are too bright for my tastes. I have tweaked all the dials on my amp and can't find the sound that moves me. I installed some 115 gauge roundwounds. Still too bright. No thunder. I installed Labella 110 deep talkers. Much better, but still not the thunder I was expecting. Body is very heavy. No neck dive but very pronounced neck lift. I repositioned strap buttons and created new strap holes on my strap. No relief. Also, the neck feels very long. When I reach for the F on the heavy E string, my arm is overextended and very uncomfortable. Overextension of my arm combined with the neck lift is untenable. I am fighting neck lift while dealing with overextension. I know that I can make modifications to counter balance the neck lift, but I am not connecting with the bass so I am not interested in wasting efforts to modify it to my preferences. I will sell it and hope it finds a home that will love it.

20. The neck feels longer than other basses, because of it's position with respect to your left arm. A bass with the strap button out at the 12th fret hangs the bass farther to your right.
    I had the same problem with my G&L ASAT bass (Telecaster shape).

Dave Neal likes this.