Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BC Rich NJ series Beast

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ocrichie, Jun 1, 2005.

1. ocrichie

ocrichie

Jun 1, 2005
    Have anyone owned or played the BC Rich NJ series Beast bass? I am looking for a mid range price bass to get, I am between the NJ warlock and the NJ beast.

I play Heavy Metal

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Pointy does not equal metal. Or good. It does, however, equal BC Rich.

Don't waste your money on pointy crap; get something that won't put an eye out, and will sound decent.

For the $600 you'd spend on a Beast, you can get a much, much better bass. A MIM Fender, while not terribly metal looking, will sound much better. And, regardless of how much you may worship Horgh, nobody will tell you to go home because your bass isn't pointy. Trust me on this one.

For that money, I'd look at a Spector Rebop, anything Yamaha, Peavey, Music Man SUB, ESP (The F series is still pointy, if you're hellbent on pointy) Warwick Rockbass, Schecter, or a G&L Tribute or an Ibanez of some sort. Even an Epiphone Thunderbird is fairly metal looking, and doesn't suck.

I highly reccomend a G&L Tribute, Spector Rebop, or Music Man SUB.

Yes, you can soup up a Beast or Warlock with pickups, tuners, a bridge, and new electronics, but you can only polish a turd so much before it just becomes a shiny turd, and one that costs more than a non-turd does, stock.

3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Don't sugar coat it for him Brendan, how's he going to know what you really feel if you beat around the bush like that... :D

Of course I agree 138.37%. BCRich's are bought for looks, not sound or playability (unless you're in the upper brackets of the USA models)

4. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    chances you'll find a good sounding bc are low, my friend has one, but it was a guitar, go with a ,fender,yamaha, ibanez,(the sr905 sounds great and can be had new for that price if your lucky,) if your hell bent on a rich they have a line of basses that cost a ridiculous amount but sound the part, ameican)

5. If you must get something pointy then look at ESP, at least they sound decent.
    [​IMG]

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    +1 on the ESP. The F series ESPs are pointy and still play very nicely. I love mine a great deal. If you are not complete set on a 5 you might want to check out the DF404, which I belive is a better instrument (mhagony body, full active PUs). The 30th aniversary LTD bass is also very nice, but it is not pointy.

I don't think any BR Rich is a match for other basses in the same price range. Even the high end USA ones are not equal to what I would expect from a custom made $5000+ bass. Also the Beast in particular is really, really uncomfortable.

7. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    The ESP above was actually bought as a first bass when I knew no better. It actually has served me very well. It's fallen off of a wall hanger numerous times, and it still keeps going. The thing has massive low end, but still hits the highs nicely. The mids are to die for.

8. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
  9. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Guys I'll agree some of the BC's are not that good but don't be lumping them all together please. Your opinion of BC is just that, your opinion. What you or I like tonewise or aesthetically doesn't always "do it" for someone else. To each their own! :)

I don't own a USA model but both NJ BC's I have play and sound excellent IMO.

Ocrichie, if it has the tone/look you like and you can keep from killing yourself with it (j/k :p ) I say go for it.

I have checked out a NJ Beast and it was huge instrument IMO. Fit and finish was nice. Not $1500+ nice but well within its price range. It played OK (no setup, stock strings) and had a decent tone. It was kinda hard to really play it as I didn't have a strap and trying to rest it on my lap just wasn't working. I played it for maybe 10-15 minutes.

I agree with klocwerk in that if you really want a nice BC styled guitar (comparable to the BC USA stuff) check out Warmoth. They have the Warlock, Eagle, and Mockingbird bodies available and you have several wood options to choose from. I have been thinking of building an Ash bodied Warmoth Mockingbird myself!

10. Those Beasts do look killer................but ofcourse Spectors look better and kickass. +1 for spector

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Don't trust this man's opinion...he owns a banjo...all commentary must be weighed with this in mind.

;)

12. The NJ's aren't bad at all for the money. I know a few people who play them and love them. Go over to the bcr forum and ask people who have actually played them.
    http://bcrich.com/bcrich_forums.asp

13. :) I've had a BCR Eagle bass 1979 neck through model since it was new off the rack. Nice wide tone range, comfortable to play sitting or standing, a bit of EQ boost to the mids brightens up its thumpy nature. BCR just started making Eagle bodies again too.........

14. I played an NJ Warlock once (same leccies as the beast) and I was impressed with the sound, had it been a Mockingbird I would have considered it for purchase.
    I got an Ovation instead. :)

15. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA

bwahahahaha!
    Yes, yes I do. And I play it at least as often as my basses, so there. :D

(of course it's newer, and I'm far worse at it, so since there's more room for improvement I'm playing it more than I would otherwise. )

:bassist:

16. I like my NJ Beast. Truth be told, in hindsight I probably would have bought something else with the $500+ I payed for it though. Don't get me wrong, it sounds good and plays nicely, but once the wow factor wears off it's just a pointy P-bass. It certainly does catch a lot of attention, and people (even non-bassists) are always telling me that they like it after shows. So if you're looking to impress people with the way your bass looks, go for it. If you'd rather save money, you can probably get one thats sounds/plays just as nice for much less. Don't worry about anyone who says its a waste to get it just because it's pointy, how many people here spend $1000 or more on a bass just because they like the type of wood top? It's your hard-earned cash, spend it however you like.

Check out my band's website, http://www.areyoufor86.com if you want to see some pics and hear some mp3s of me using it. The track "Moth" has a tiny bass solo in it using a clean tone.

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You'd be surprised.

18. ocrichie

ocrichie

Jun 1, 2005
    I really appreciate all the input you guys gave me.

Thanks a lot.

My brother found this deal online

Trans red NJ beast + BC Rich case + shipping= $550

And he thought it was a pretty good deal since the beast goes for 600+, he bought it shortly after I post this.

I wish I posted this earily.

19. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA

Not a bad deal at all!
    They're not bad basses, they just don't have the best tone for the money.
    But they sure got the looks. :D
    Check out the forums at the moser custom shop site:
    http://mcs.acidpit.org/index.php
    Lots of BC Rich guys hang out there.
    Cheers!

20. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    +1 on the Thunderbird.

IMHO, that thing is fecking metal! :bassist:

\m/:mad:\m/