1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BC Rich NJ Warlock - restore or 5?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jondog, Aug 20, 2012.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I traded for an '80s BEAT BC Rich NJ series Warlock on Craigslist. It was a fair deal, but it was more beat than I expected, it definitely can't stay the way it is (wrong and barely adjustable bridge, odd 5th octave G string added, mismatched output jack . . . ). My wife says to keep the sparklish cream color despite many dings, so I won't paint it. I only play 5 strings now, does anyone have opinions on converting it to a 5 string? The headstock has room for a 5th tuner, and I'm ok w/ narrow spacing, am I messing with a semi-vintage classic metal bass or should I just go for it? I have a lot of other basses so even if I convert it to 5 I probably won't play it all the time, it would just be a fun project.

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I wouldnt try changeing it to a fiver unless you have a good deal of play left on the truss rod to adjust for the added tension another string is going to cause.

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    The truss rod appears good, but I think you may be on the right track, this bass will be better off as a 4 string.