BC Rich Warlock 4-string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sbbassslapper, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Anyone have this, how does it sound, is it as heavy as the guitar version, i'm trying to figure out if this would be a good bass for me, and if it would sound really good for the kinda of music that we play.... if you want to get an idea for our music we have some "okay" recordings of them on our website in the music section, www.sourbloodmusic.com, i'm happy with my yamaha but i want to get another bass, that has more of the metal persona. :bassist:

info about the bass
  2. Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    In my opinion, you can go metal without a bass that looks like that, unless it is part of the whole band image, it should be adequate.

It seems that you should get enough out of it for what it is-there are many reviews that seem to lean positive. That said, in my opinion, those reviews sound like they came from the age range of teen-very early 20's-who often dig that kind of bass. (I had a warlock bass too when I was 15 or 16)

After hearing one of your songs online-I'd consider a 5 string (Low B), and if image matters, get a black one. Black always fits in!

As well, you may want a bass that has more flexibility if you think you may like to get into other music styles.
  3. warwick719

Dec 21, 2004
    In my honest opinion i hate them....but like i said thats my opinoin....i dont think that they have a very good sound and dont care for the way they look but i also problly play a diff. style than you...if thats what you like then go for it but if i were you i would keep looking........
  4. Well ill have to correct Panther on his post about ages that like that bass. I am 16 and hate it, it is not age, but rather experience that more determines that. People that are just starting like crazy looking instruments because they just want to look good. After playing a while they wont like them anymore. I used to love them, i now hate them after 5 years experience. So will he after a while im sure :D
  5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    My opinion: Awesome looking, horrible sounding. Try one for yourself though.

6. I'd recommend the Corvette also, I have one as well as a Streamer - and they're both great!

The only reason I mentioned the Vampyre firstly is because sbbassslapper is after a bass that has "more of a metal persona"

7. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    I bought a Warlock in 1983. Sold it 2 months later. It was utter GARBAGE!!!

Please believe me when I tell you that I would recommend a washtub bass before I could recommend the Warlock.
  8. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah, I couldn't really imagine them sounding really good... I think the Corvette would be the best choice, but either way, a Rockbass should do you great.
  9. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Yeah, I don't mean to be overly critical (honest!) but the Warlock I bought (strictly on a whim...it was the "hair band days!" just didn't do it for me. I bought it strictly for the looks but once I got over that, there wasn't much substance to it so I sold it and began playing Daion (which is another story altogether!)
  10. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    i think they suck to play live.

but for recording, they actually have *gasp* a nice vintage sound with either old old old strings or flatwounds.

just my 2 cents
  11. hmm, that vampyre does look awesome, i'm not sure if my hands are big enough for 5 string bass or not, may sound kinda wierd, but yea, i don't feel comfortable with 5 string bass, and i'm not really sure, i knwo that they yamaha seems to have a slimmer fret board, that i can play really well, i think i'm doing pretty good for only playing bass for the amount of time that i've been playing, 8months, not to shabby. :bassist:

i use to stay at the top string all the time, now i don't. :bassist:

right now i play a yamaha rbx170, it was cheap, and felt good, and sounded decent.