Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BC Rich Warlock Platinum

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by conrad_comrad, Aug 28, 2005.

1. conrad_comrad

conrad_comrad

Jun 8, 2004
    UK
    Thoughts/opinions on this bass?? I am very interested in buying it as my second bass, having been playing for just over a year. Are there any issues with it that are a common problem? Thanks :cool:

2. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    well i hear there okay. But only if you jsut wanna play metal with them. and when you look back on it when youre older you will say "i played that?" unlesss you stay a 70 year old metal head. o and you can sit down with it.

3. Id avoid the Warlock altogether, But thats just me(Im a Mockingbird and Widow bass fan) But if you must go with BC Rich, Id go with the NJ series instead, The BC Rich owners of this site should be here shortly.

4. M05T OF THEM WR1T1NG L1KE D1S. Old Bc riches are cool , new ones are just 1 trick donkies.

5. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    :D
    +1
    If you find one from the late 70's or early to mid '80's, grab it. Today's models aren't much to write home about IMHO.

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    You know, the bashing of BCR and us BCR owners is getting to be very old. :rolleyes:

Mat, how about reading the rules about showing repect towards other members. Qualifying it as "MO5T OF THEM" doesn't work for me, OK? BTW, BCR's are not one trick basses. Maybe you can't do anything other than one thing with them but some of us do just fine thank you.

Anyways...on to the question at hand. The Platinum series are built OK as far as neck and body but the electronics and hardware tend to blow big time. If you want to buy one and later upgrade it then it would be fine IMO. However if you plan on doing that you might as well get the NJ series as it is a much better instrument IMO and IME. BTW, I own two NJ series basses. An '90 Innovator 4 and a Virgin 4.

7. conrad_comrad

conrad_comrad

Jun 8, 2004
    UK
    What exactly do you mean by 1 trick. That they are only for playing metal because of the shape, or what? :confused:

8. yes and thats just a personal attack at my ability....... Anyhow , they are general basses for playing rock , especially the newer ones anyway , the necks are quite chunky and slow in my opinion and the sound is tolerable with a pick(sometimes) , no decent slap tone and the the electronics are quite noisy too. If you can't take which was a lighthearted joke and start to get personal fine , but i wont sink to a level where il insult you personally.

9. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    I completely disagree!

Mynj beast has a great playing neck, really great sound, and with the eq you have access to quite a few different sounds. I love the sound of my bcr slapped, and I'd say most of the other people around me who listen to me like it aswell. All of this bcr/bcr owner bashing is really annoying, you guys need to grow up (and thats coming form a 12 year old).

In regards to the question, I'd save up some money and get a nj series bass. The platinum series is ok, although there are a few basses that are better for the moeny IMO. But the nj series is great.

10. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    Definitely get an NJ Series. I also have a beast and it's great.

AND... stop bashing the new basses. They're great.

AND... stop bashing the basses as being "1 trick donkies"

sure they look like they should only play 'metal' or very hard rock, but they can play anything... and I mean ANYTHING with ease. The neck is very comfortable and the tone is spectacular. Just watch the points... they chip and poke people's eyes out very easily. :bassist:

You're all way to immature about your bcr bashing (and I'm 14)

11. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Although I know (or atleast hope) you're kidding about the fender thing, I'd suggest you take it out. I agree with the rest of your post though.

Btw, just to let you know how good these basses sound... A friend of mine (he's in his late 30's/early 40's) is a straight up jazz bass guy. He thinks everything else is bad compared to the all mighty jazz bass. One day, he asked to play my bass, just to see how it played compared to his bass. He told me it played and sounded amazing! Case in point.

12. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    Fender dis gone!

But the bcr's do sound as good if not better than anything out there... except for minor fret buzz if you play to loud.

13. conrad_comrad

conrad_comrad

Jun 8, 2004
    UK
    They look really nice, but I'm just thinking that in a couple years time I'll look back and think why the hell did I buy that, since I do get the impression that its a rock/metal bass and has a bad slap sound.

14. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I disagree with your statement about what a BCR can/can't do. Thats my opinion just as you have yours.

BTW, it wasn't a personal attack on your abilities, just an observation. I'm sorry you took it that way. Let me explain. Several players here don't have this problem yet you do? It is either your personal skill level or the fact that the bass just doesn't fit your style/technique. I was assuming that it was the latter.

As far as taking a lighthearted joke, well I didn't take it as lighthearted.

Many people (read:snobs,elitest) assume because you play a BCR it implies that your skill sucks, you can't spell, and that you obviously don't know what a good bass is. Like I said, the jokes, snide remarks, and snobbery crap is getting old.

When you come in a thread that is asking a specific question and all you contribute is "M05T OF THEM WR1T1NG L1KE D1S. Old Bc riches are cool , new ones are just 1 trick donkies." you are just being rude. You had not shared any info on models you have played and what gripes you had with them. Your second post was much more helpful to the original poster in his quest for info. Why didn't you do that in your first post?

15. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    +100! :D

16. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    well i play rock and metal sometimes and BC riches still suck...
    they are so bright they sound like my guitar
    --by da way yo even ipf i spealled lik di5 BC Riches 5til 5uck.

17. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Mods... He hurt my feelings :crying: :crying:

Lol.

But seriously, come on. They have a very nice eq, and maby you just dialed in a very bright sound with it. Or maby you played onew ith a bad setup?
    All this bcr bashing is really getting anoying you guys need to get a life.
    what really gets me, is why people knowingly break the rules here bashing bcr, and yet the mods dont seem to do much. Maby they just havent seen it yet. Anyways I think someone should close this because of all the people who chose to mindlessly bash bcr for no apparent reason what so ever. You guys never give a detailed response as to why they "suck so bad". OK give us some detail as to how it was so bright. Maby different strings could help? maby turning the treble down on the amp would help aswell? Did you even try any of that?

18. Some of the 80's mockingbirds have an insane eq/knob/switch set up, Any one know what the hell the switches do?

19. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Lets be fair now, a lot of people here think that if you play anything the costs less that a used car. If you don't play a Sadowsky, MIA Fender, or one of a few high end custom boutique basses, you get a fiar amount of "STFU n00b" comments on this site.

As for BCRs, the ANti-Tash, I mean Kelly, already knows my opinion (based on owning 4 of different model and time periods) of them. But I'll restate it now:

Platinum, Bronze and Lexan: Total peice of crap, birghtly colored firewood at best. With the lexan ones you even loose the firewood aspect because that stuff is toxic when you burn it.

NJ - Debatable. Some are apparently very nice. The newest ones seem very nice from what I read about them. The one I owned was not very nice. Worth looking at carefully, but in my opinion you'd do better with a Spector or ESP LTD in the prioce range these generally go for new. BTW NJ stands for "Nagano, Japan", not "New Jersey", these are import basses, do not confuse them with the American Made BCRs.

USA - Usually very nice. The one I owned had a TON of electronics problems, but was built very well. These are very, very expensive basses, new or used. I would not personally buy one again, for the kind of cash I'd have to drop to replace my USA Mockingbird I could easily get a custom ESP, a USA Spector or one of several other really nice basses.

All BC Rich basses: Never, ever, for any reason, no matter how good a deal it is, buy a BC Rich without seeing it in person and playing with with your own hands! This company has been bought and sold hundreds of times, and there have been periods where multiple companys all claimed to be BC Rich and were making instruments under that name. Each different owner had different ideas about what made a good bass, and as a result the quality of BCR instruments has jumped around more than a jack russel terrier on a pogo stick. Never trust pictures, descriptions, or personal testimony when buying any bass, but especially not a BCR. Hold it in your own hands and play it before deciding its for you.

20. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Im getting one just for kicks because we are working up an
    80's hair band set for fun. I have zero expectations for it . . .