Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BC Rich warlock

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skaterr11, Apr 24, 2005.

1. skaterr11

skaterr11

Apr 24, 2005
    I have a red BC Rich platinum series warlock, widowhead 4 string. I noticed no postings for that brand even. Is BC rich that terrible? I was looking to sell it and get something slightly smaller (and lighter). How much could I get for it? If anyone is interested or knows somebody who is, feel free to contact me.

This is my first posting, and I think this site is GREAT!

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Pretty much, I could go into a long and length disertation but 99% of Riches are crap and the platinum series fall well within that threshold.

However there are still plenty of people, mostly kids, who will buy them just for looks. So if you are serious about upgrading you could probably get $100-200 for it on Ebay to help you move to something much better.

3. nismaniac

nismaniac

Feb 21, 2005
    OKC, OK
    I wouldn't say they are crap, it depends on the model and series you have. They have import models and USA models. They have 2 or 3 quality levels of import models, so like everything, you get what you pay for. The body shapes are dramatic and unique which I think is cool, but doesn't always translate into comfort and 100% usability, but people buy them for their distinctive shapes.

My first bass ever was an old used B.C. Rich Warlock from the eighties. It cost me $85 and it played and sounded great. A couple of years ago, MF was having a clearance sale and had a new NJ Mockinbird with active electronics for $200. When it arrived I was very shocked to find it was a much better playing and sounding bass than even I expected.

The import models include (from lowest to highest quality) the Bronze series, Platinum series, and NJ series (with variations). It is hard for me to estimate the value of your bass because their are so many variations in the import model range, but I suspect you could get at least $150-200 depending on condition to a private seller (not a store).

Enjoy it, they are not bad basses. Like I said, it depends on the model and series, and you get what you pay for.

4. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida
    Their USA stuff is great. I looked at a USA Warlock neck-through once, while not my thing, the quality was excellent. And the price was high also.

5. Check Ebay to get a good idea of what they go for, put a watch on them so you can find them easily when they finally sell.

Check to make sure your bass isn't listed here:Weird looking basses

Seems like most of the TB'ers are more into function rather than form, although I'm not even sure the "form" of the BC Rich is an advantage to most of these guys either. But you could try posting to the TB sellers area, never know who'll bite. Check if its free to post, may only charge a % if you sell, or it may just be free period.

Randy

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Tash, you obviously have never played my BC's! :smug: BTW, I'm not a kid (34) and just bought the Virgin a few month ago!

Most people discriminate against BC because of the radical body shapes that scream metal. Honestly, how many people here would walk right past a BC just because of its looks? I admit the BC stuff in the Platinum and Bronze series is not of the highest quality. The Platinums are built decent but the hardware is cheap and the Bronze, well... The USA stuff is waaaay at the other end of the spectrum from them! The NJ series is built as well as any mid-level bass IMO.

I own two NJ series BC's, both are over 10yo and still sound excellent. I have a Virgin which is actually quite comfortable to play considering its shape. I also have an Innovator by which I judge all other basses playability. Reliability? The Innovator was the only one to have a real problem (I don't count scratchy pots) after 14 years. One of the BC Rich brand Gotoh copies went bad.

Skaterr11, to answer your question I would agree that about $200 is what you can get unfortunately. If you want to get something lighter with a more traditional feel, try an Innovator! :p

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Prety much anything except what comes out of the Custom Shop is crap. Pure, uncut, undiluted, crap.

However, I have laid hands on a couple Mocking Birds from the Custom Shop, and while they weren't my thing, they were excellent basses, aside from needing a setup pretty bad.

I wouldn't mind owning a Custom Shop BC Rich, like a Mocking Bird. That lower horn seems like it'd make them great lap basses. I've got no problem with the "metal" shapes. Heck, I play metal, no issue there. A Warlock wouldn't be too bad of a stage axe, either. It'd be a little excessive for just jamming around the house, but I'd totally go for a Custom Shop Warlock to rock out on.

8. I play an NJ Beast, I think the sound is great, but if I had to do again I'd probably spend my $500 on something else. The main thing is its so big and unusually shaped that is hard to manage. It only fits in the case designed for it, and that case is so big it doesnt fit in many cars. Its pretty heavy, so I use a padded strap with it. Don't even think about sitting down and playing one, it has these big spikes that dig into your leg after a while. :scowl:

9. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    I bought a Warlock in the early 80s. Had it for about a month and sold it. 'Nuff said.

10. CaneyBoniface

CaneyBoniface

Feb 17, 2015
    Malaysia

Bass cover by Caney from Kanowit, Sarawak. Using my B.C. Rich Warlock Paolo Gregoletto Signature Bass 5 String upgrade with Seymour Duncan Passive Phase II Soapbar SSB-5 pickup and Seymour Duncan Basslines Active 3-Band Tone Circuits™ STC-3 onboard preamp, Warwick 42300 ML Red Label Stainless Steel String, DiMarzio cable, Seymour Duncan Studio Bass Compressor, Darkglass Electronics Microtubes B7K Analog Bass Preamp Limited Edition, Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Bass Big Muff Pi and Behringer UC6102 interface.
    Capture with Audacity.
    Mixing and mastering with Nero SoundTrax.

11. CaneyBoniface

CaneyBoniface

Feb 17, 2015
    Malaysia

B.C. Rich Warlock Paolo Gregoletto Signature Bass 5 String upgrade with Seymour Duncan Passive Phase II Soapbar SSB-5 pickup and Seymour Duncan Basslines Active 3-Band Tone Circuits™ STC-3 onboard preamp