Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BC Rich Warlock?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mullet_head_81, Mar 22, 2001.

1. mullet_head_81

mullet_head_81

Jan 27, 2001
    okie-homa
    I was looking at a BC Rich Warlock (w/widow headstock) and I was kinda taken by it. Anything I probaly need to know about it?

2. It has a DEEP sound. And it is a real metal bass, for impressing people with its looks as well as sound.

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

LMAO! Me too!

JMHO, of course.

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    lmao@yuck

I think it looks as my ex gf put it, nifty..lol...i wouldnt own one though. too uncomfortable to play for me and im not crazy bout the sound of um.

6. mullet_head_81

mullet_head_81

Jan 27, 2001
    okie-homa
    perfect

7. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    i played one. liked the sound but it was uncomfotrable to play. major neck dive. if it wasnt for that its pretty good.

8. I found an old beat up Warlock (NJ series) for $150. It doesn't have a Widow headstock though, to my dissapointment. It's a really ugly (but cool) purple and is written all over with black marker. It says things like "Metal Rulz" and "Metallica is #1," not to mention an upsidedown cross. It also has a lol of paint missing and for some reason a 1/2 diameter hole drilled in the upper horn. I really hate metal, but I think it would be awesome to have a Warlock bass, just because it would be funny. I think I'm going to buy it and put in a '62 Fender P-Bass pickup, rewire it, rip out the frets, and call it my own.

Kenan O'Brien
    The Sound of the Police

9. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    I don't know about the new ones, but I had a 90 Platinum Warlock and there were a few things I should tell you. I hot rodded the hell out it. Replaced the horrible pups w/ EMG's and added a Hipshot (among other things). The biggest problem was that it had a 36" scale. It sounded great, but when I was playing it, I felt like I was telling someone how big a fish I caught. The scale and huge head caused it to be extremely neck heavy. However, it was a great bass to learn on though because of the scale.

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Again...yuck! :D

11. 7

Dec 23, 2000
    buy it ive got a platinum supreme warlock the only thing is you should definaly put some emg's in it or replace the p/u's cuz my friend in a band my band plays with has one with the original p/u's and it sounds like hes blowing the amp compared to mine it sound pretty bad but i really like that bass so i would suggest getting one

12. can't you get hurt if you hold em the wrong way?

impressed by its' looks?? personal preference huh

13. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    You could poke your eye out with that thing!...:D

14. it looks cool but if you want a cool looking bass i suggest either the wiidow or the beast. you can see them at the bc rich website.

15. GOX42

GOX42

Sep 28, 2000
    rising sun indiana
    I got a warlock about 6 nmonyhs ago..The one with the widow headstock and I was rather impressed with the pickups in it...They sound pretty damn good for passive the only problem I've had is the neck dive. Over all the bass play really well the string spacing is a bit wider than other basses but it sounds great has kinda an ol' skool funk slap sound to it and gets some great lows...

16. Musicians Freind is now stocking The Beast, if you are looking to get truly hurt with a bass i would choose the beast over the warlock. :D

17. The Warlock is very uncomfortable... Even after 5 minutes I really didn't like the comfort. It has a really really powerful sound though that really cuts through. But then again is it worth the discomfort? I guess for some types of music it would add to the music :)

18. Taurus

Taurus

Feb 2, 2001
    I recently got rid of a mockingbird bass,in red--yikes!,for a more conventional bass[Fender Precision].The BC Rich had a nice sound and very nice action to it,but it was unbelievably uncomfortable to play and it wasn't the kind of bass you'd want to be playing for long periods of time.It's too bad that they placed so much emphasis on the looks of it to the extent that they forgot that you actually have to play the thing.Still,if I were a gorilla with eight foot long arms I probably would have kept it and sprayed it black...or something else besides red.Also,as an experienced woodworker I thought the workmanship on it was only so-so,especially if you take into account that it was a very expensive bass when new.At least I've been told that it was very expensive;active electronics,two sets of DiMarzio's etc.

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well a Pantera fan would say that woudn't they! :rolleyes:

I'm afraid that I must agree most strongly with the "Yuch" , but would add that everything I've read about these has tended to suggest that they sound as bad as they look! That probably would have been worse - but in my opinion that's impossible! ;)

20. BassRacer

BassRacer

Mar 22, 2001
    I have three B.C. Riches, two Warlocks and a
    Virgin, and I love all three. The action is great
    when properly setup. Though I think that I'm
    going to have to sell one of the Warlocks to
    help pay for the Spector that I just ordered.