1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BC rich

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bannock, Apr 25, 2009.

1. bannock

bannock

Apr 25, 2009
    I haven't been on this site for very long but in my searching the forum i havent seen anyone talk about bc rich basses. are they that bad? its my first one so i dont know too much about the different type or brands.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's not that they're "bad", it's that the pointy heavy metal look has a very limited appeal to bassists these days. Also (big generalization here) the newer ones you see the most of on the market are kind of cheaply made, and the older ones that were well-made cost a lot and are very heavy. Most bassists are looking for something less extreme looking, a little more comfortable, and better value per dollar.

3. I have a B.C rich warlock bass 1989, and a mockingbird, not sure what year, and I love them. They are unusual looking axes from the HAIR ROCK days, but hey so am I. No there is nothing wrong with them, just most of the people on here if they even own and play a bass, few of them actually have ever gigged, { paying that is}, and they all swear by Fender or else some boutique bass. but there again there are few of us old timers that have REAL gig experience on here.

4. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    BC Rich puts a lot more time and effort into making their instruments look pretty than the do making them sound pretty.

5. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    They aren't bad. Personally I feel most of the cost goes to the cut and not the electronics or other parts. As a choice for a first bass, I'd look at Ibanez. ATK, Soundgear, can't go wrong with either.

6. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    the older B.C. Rich Basses are great IMHO, however having played a lot of their newer basses, especially in the lower price range they leave a lot to be desired....

The higher end and custom shop Rich's though are pretty damn nice...

that said a lot of people don't like their shapes, and they have a bit of a rep for being metal head basses....

I personally love the Mockinbird body and own one i bought new in 1983 (i just dated myself...lol) but it doesn't get much stage time these days....when we play a really long set close to home i will bring her out for one song.....i hold on to it for the sake of nostalgia.....

That said if you like it and it it sounds and feels good.....play it! and don't worry about what others think

oh and here is the link to the B.C. Rich Club thread...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494623&highlight=bcrich