Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bc rich???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sprinkler, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
  2. I've never seen a BC Rich player that i could really hear, so it's basically all about the look. As far as sound goes, you can do way better in that price range, even in a lower price range.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Those reviews were quite funny and cannot be serious - the moral is that, if you buy basses for the way they look, then don't expect to get taken seriously!! ;)

Especially if you get a BC Rich!! :D

4. Probably the biggest complaint is that the electronics and pickups stink. That and the fact you'll be stuck playing metal due to the body style. I really don't like them that much.

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    well. I for one think they are ugly. i even took the time to play one once and the tone was horrible... These basses just aren't worth the money...

The American BC Riches are better.. but I don't like them much either

6. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I think the consensus is in.... terrible looks, crappy electronics, suspect pickups, and better quality basses that are cheaper and more approachable visually! Do yourself a favor and say no to BC Rich....

P@

7. Bruce Lindfield

....unless you're in a Kiss tribute band!! ;)

8. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    hmmmm.... maybe we should just say no to playing in a Kiss tribure band! :eek:

P@

9. Dude,

Nobody will have anything good to say about a BC Rich. Lots of death metal bands use them. Chuck Schuldiner used one (albeit a guitar) and I challenge anyone to say anything bad about him ;)

It takes a metal head to appreciate a pointy body style :) I've never owned one or really played one for an extended period of time, so I can't really comment on the tone, etc. (which is the important stuff.) Like any other bass you may be interested in, play one before you buy it. You can always upgrade the pickups, etc.

Don't let others opinions keep you down! Dare to be different! Its the metal way.

ps - if you buy one and it sucks don't blame me, heh.

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i dig the bc rich widow...i played an alder one with a flame top that had basslines pups and a seymour duncan pre that sounded pretty sweet. if i had one, i wouldn't play it out, though...i might hurt someone ;)

11. Bruce Lindfield

"Chuck Schuldiner plays BC Rich Guitars!!"

There - I did it!! ;)

12. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Go for a BC Rich if your bass idol is Derek Smalls from Spinal Tap!!!

13. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I used to have a BC Rich, got it when I was 16 and was into metal (go figure). It was perfect for what I was playing at the time. The only thing I ever changed were the pickups because, ya, they were junk...

I kept it for almost 15 years. As I broadened (I think that's a word?) my musical horizons, it stayed with me. I found that I could make up for the lack of tonal quality with the EQ built into my amp, so I was able to get pretty much any sound I wanted in any playing environment. Sometimes it just took a bit to get the settings right:p

Lots of people freaked out when I played blues or slap/pop stuff mostly because they expected metal because of the look. Only once did anyone give me a hard time about it saying I needed a new bass because the Rich was "too metal looking" (and I was no longer playing that style). I didn't care, he was a snob anyway:rolleyes:

The main problem it had was that it was very unbalanced. I think the long scale, 24 fret neck had a lot to do with that. After playing for an hour or so my hand would be hurting from holding it up. I'm thinking I actually might have done some permanant damage, because to this day, I still get numbness in 2 fingers on my left hand (pinky and ring fingers) every now and then.

Anyway, that's why I sold it. The neck dive was too much so I got another bass with a better tone for what I like to play. It doesn't have the balance problem either.

Sorry about the rambling, but just wanted to say that it served me well for a long time but in the end (knowing what I know now) I wouldn't have bought it....what did I know...I was a kid;)

14. Where did you play one? IMHO this is a cool looking bass and I would love to get one, but aren't they only available in a USA handmade model (super expensive)? I wish they would make a cheaper version. . .

15. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i played one at ed roman's when i was stationed in groton, connecticut about 5 years ago...lots of pointy basses and really bad customer service...i think it was the super, big, gargantuan, biggest, baddest, i know everything and you know nothing, everyone sucks but me, did i say biggest yet...or best yet guitar mall or some such at the time...:D to answer your question though, yes, the widows are entirely custom made one-offs. and the price is pretty unreasonable for what you get, in my opinion. ed had a couple other widows at the time and they were all pretty horrible.