Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikemulcahy, Dec 5, 2000.

1. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I have heard that the BC Rich basses made in the USA still carry reasonable value. Can anyone confirm that and attest to the playability of any particular model?
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But they just look so awful and all those nasty sharp edges - how can that be "playable" - yeuuch! ;)
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    A good guy to ask would be "Dude," if he's the same Dude that's on the FDP. I think he is, so if there's a way of looking him up, see if you can get his attention.

Hey, Bruce, the Eagle doesn't have very many sharp edges! ;)However, I also don't care for pointy basses in general. Maybe that's why I've never owned a BC Rich.
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I owned an Eagle bass and was hard pressed to get $500 for it when I sold it two years ago. I could have gotten more money for a P-bass of the same vintage!

Riches play really well but have funky (like in awful) electronics. I sold mine because I decided I really didn't like any of the tones it had.
  5. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    email the serial # to BC Rich and ask them, or buy a guitar buyers guide, either should be able to tell you what they are worth. Or see what a decent store will give you for trade in on it, then double that because thats what they'll probobly sell it for. Cant tell ya about how they play because I havent picked one up in many many years.

Nov 28, 2000
    I've heard that they are just all show with no good playing quality. But there are a lot of bands that use them. And Marilyn Manson makes good use of it. If you get a chanc to try one let me know.
  7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I have two BC Rich basses. One is an Eagle that I really like the sound of (it growls), it has one passive, reversed P-style pick-up. The Dude (Steve Barr) has a picture of it in his BC Rich gallery. The last time I gigged with it, (I usually play Fenders) two different bassists gave me unsolicited compliments and wanted to know more about it. The other is a Bich that I got cheap and ripped the frets out. I never liked the playability or sound of it. It's mainly a wallhanger.
    I really like the Eagle shape, but I think the rest of their basses are ugly.
  8. bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    It's all a matter of personal tastes, If you like it, get it. There are hundreds of different basses on the market because there are hundreds of different playing styles.
    Choosing a bass is like choosing a wife, if you pick the right one, it's a beautiful thing. If you pick the wrong one, you're stuck with it.

music is poetry in motion,
    an expression of emotion,
    the application of devotion.
  9. Buying a new bass is a lot cheaper than buying a new wife. You can also have several basses whereas you can only have one wife (except for Utah). :D

BTW, BC RICH is the best bass ever because Derek Smalls played 'em! :D
  10. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I already have one. Its an USA made Iron Bird from about 1988 i believe. I forgot i syill has it, somebody mentioned that the USA models are hard to find. I dont want to sell it i was just curious.
  11. i played a B.C. Rich American Beast at a store near me for kicks and i thought it sounded pretty good, but i am still waiting for the scars on my chest to heal, damn talk about sharp edges, sounded good but i don't know how you would wear it to keep from hurting yourself. they put on little rubber bushing now so you don't chip the pait but it still chips flesh
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member