1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bcrich platinum warlock

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paradigm_shift, Jun 1, 2007.

1. paradigm_shift

paradigm_shift

Mar 29, 2007
    So I've been Givin the oppertunity to get a bc rich platinum bass for half price(brand new but fell off the shelf ,minor dents on top, purely cosmetic) I was wondering what was thought of them?
    It would be a secondary bass for me, my first being a spector spectorcore fretless(that I love).

I just had a few questions, is there binding on the neck? If I got this I think it may turn into a project bass. I've played with bronze series basses(briefly) and was unimpressed with the tone , Did the platinum vary much to them? qualitywise did the platinum seem much better than the bronze?

If i get this I might consider leaving it as it is.My likely option though would be to defret it, strip the body of paint, give it an oil finish(in some sort of burst) and replace the pick ups. What are your guys thoughts? get a cheaper bronze or is it worth the difference in cash?Quality of neck and body...

I prominantly play death metal and jazz.odd combination but thats life huh?

2. paradigm_shift

paradigm_shift

Mar 29, 2007
    Anyone? I never really liked the warlock till i saw this:
    But if anyone could help at all...

[​IMG]

3. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    My son had a black one. We both really liked it. The widow headstock chips just looking at it.

It has a great sound, I was really surprised. It had two p pups and the tone was punchy & focused. I think the Warlok is a classic design.

The only bad part about it was it was pretty heavy. That & the headstock chipping issue are it's biggest flaws to me.

The other problem with a bass like that is you better not be going to any blues or jazz gigs with that. It's the look that offends not the sound.

4. paradigm_shift

paradigm_shift

Mar 29, 2007
    Hahaha as it is I'm part pin cushion(I've got a few piercings...) Its suprising what a conservative bunch some musicians are.I think that more than anything is likely to offend those that would be offended before the guiter.

5. Personally Id jump on it. Ive owned a few Platinum Warlocks and they are not bad instruments at all. They are heavy, and if your not careful they do chip but sound nice. As far as if its got binding or not I dont believe Platinum series' instruments come with binding though Ive seen a few (owned one too). You may not like it as much as you like your Spector but It is not a bad instrument and a awesome looking bass.
    Just my 2 cents.

6. paradigm_shift

paradigm_shift

Mar 29, 2007
    how exactly do they differ from bronze series? is the quality of wood lower?bodywise and neckwise how are they varied?
    If I was to replace the pickups and remove the frets are there differences in construction?

Weight is of no factor to me. Tone is. I havent played it (the platinum)as yet.I know as far as the bronze series went I certainly found that in tone they were lacking. It wasnt that it was bad more bland- functional but boring

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I owned one back in the late '80's. It was a great bass.

8. paradigm_shift

paradigm_shift

Mar 29, 2007
    It seems they've varied in quality alot over the years...

9. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    I've never liked anything with the BC Rich name. IME they are poorly built and have poor sound. I would only recommend buying it if you plan on putting it on ebay to make a profit (since it's half price)

10. PrimusNut

PrimusNut

Mar 23, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    Some people hate 'em, some love 'em.

I played a left handed one (I had to play it upside down), and even though I was wasted out of my mind, I do remember that it had kind of a punchy/chunky tone, and it was kind of heavy and "chunky" feeling. I really liked the tone, from what I can remember (which, I admit, isn't much from that night).

It's half price, so go for it. If you don't like it, you could probably make a couple hundred bucks selling it on eBay.

11. if it didnt neck dive so bad, id still have mind, even my solution for it of moving the strap button to a different location didnt help, cuz it didnt neck dive, but it did tilt forwed, and my gut made it twist in some other direction lol...

but if i was sitting down then i loved it

edit: but i should add i had a rare one that had a P and J configuration

12. paradigm_shift

paradigm_shift

Mar 29, 2007
    Hmm I think i may get it. I'm going to go have a serious play on it. Does anyone know where I can get complete specs for the bronze and platinum warlocks.It seems both are discontinued in their current form(at least it appears that way on all sites, and bc rich does not have an email.. only a phone.. in america.. )

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021