bddi and ashdown mag 2 10' combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by UnDoNe, Dec 22, 2004.

1. UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    hi...i recently got an ashdown mag 300 combo with 2 10' speakers. i use a sansamp bddi aswell and the meter on the ashdown is in the red quite a lot and high notes can sometimes sound like their 'straining' the speakers. its only slightly and not noticable in the band setting, but was just wondering if this is bad for my combo.

also thinking of getting a 4 10' cab to go underneath the combo. would this help ease the workload of the 2 10's i already have?

2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I have it on pretty good authority that you cant actually damage the preamp stage, or the powerstage by adding a really hot input. Infact, its been suggested to me by Ashdown that my active bass probably sounds better on the passive setting and isnt going to damage my amp.

- Basically, dont worry about what the VU meter says - its pretty hard to kill your preamp.

What you could have done, is blown your tweeter. Ashdown tweeters are CRAP. Ive had problems with everyone I've ever owned, to the point where i replaced their tweeter with one of my own in my old eb-150-210.

Adding another 4x10 will be great, as you will have much more speaker area, and getting the full 300 watts out of your MAG head. It will sound much louder. I'd advocate getting the 4x10 without the tweeter.

Also - remember to get an 8 ohm cab, as your amp wont run at 2 ohms.
  3. UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    ok great. thanks for your help