1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BDDI as a preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by denton57, Apr 2, 2006.

1. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Anyone use a BDDI as a preamp with a poweramp? I have 5 days to come up with a replacement amp, and I already own a BDDI. Those poweramp deals at MF are looking like my only option right now.

2. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    The BDDI works well as a preamp. To drive a power amp effeciently, use the proper cable (1/4 or xlr) for input into your power amp, and make sure the corresponding switch on the front of the BDDI is set to "line".

If you like the tone of the BDDI, you'll love this set up.

3. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Cool! One question though, I dont have a switch on my BDDI except for the phantom/ground connect-- there isn't a line switch.

4. If you want to be able to drive your poweramp effectivley you will have to modify it then, im sure this only needs one resistor to be removed, or get a new BDDI? Probably be better modding it :)

5. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    The following has been posted in other SABDDI threads...

According to Lloyd Schwartz at Tech21, the SansAmp can be modded so that its XLR output can put out up to +4 dBu, which is enough to drive a power amp like a PLX 2402 to full power.

Here's what he wrote:

When you remove the back cover of the Bass Driver, you'll see a "black box".
    Just to
    the right of its lower right corner, there's a resistor surrounded by two
    arrows.
    It looks like this:

>O< (except it's square)

Remove it, and you're done!

BTW, the resistor is an SMT type (a small black rectangular shape].

Assuming you don't have special SMT sodlering and desoldering equipment, the best way to remove an SMT resistor is with two hot soldering irons. Grab the resistor at both ends with the soldering irons and hold it for a couple seconds while the solder melts, then lift the resistor off the board. Make sure you don't make a short circuit on the board by smearing the solder; if you do, touch it up with a soldering iron, and use some desoldering braid to absorb the excess if necessary.