1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BDDI/PBDDI power supply voltage?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SteveMcB, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Hi all. I'm looking at possibly getting a BDDI or PBDDI as part of a bass pedalboard. I have an old boss 9v and daisy-chain lying around at home, and was hoping I could use them to power things. Do the BDDI/PBDDI take standard 9v via the DC adapter in? Nowhere on the tech21 web site says this, and doing a search for BDDI/adapter brings up thousands of threads, none of which helped with this question in the first few pages worth of threads at least.

I appreciate your help.
    Steve

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Yep, both do. Here's a general rule of thumb: if it uses a 9V battery, it'll use a 9V adaptor. It just makes sense :D

And yeah, it uses your ordinary Boss-style plug, so you can daisy-chain it without having to buy any special adapters for the daisy chain.

3. Thanks for the answer!

Very true.

I did wonder though, if that were the case, why the casing appears to have no labelling on the voltage required, the tech 21 site doesn't say, and the tech 21 adapters have no voltage specified :eyebrow:. The BDDI's also take 48v phantom, so it could be different. The wouldn't be the first company to use proprietary/odd voltages to ensure that casual users (who can't/can't be bothered wiring up a connector from adapter to battery terminal) are required to buy their adapter...

Thanks for clearing it up for me.:bassist:

Steve

4. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Actually, the site DOES mention 9V battery operation. The manual does, too.

5. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Not so fast! Some pedals, such as PNP fuzzes, run on 9V batteries, but will not run on a standard Boss adapter due to reverse polarity. Others, such as the DOD Meatbox, are designed to run off a 9V battery OR a 10V adapter with a non-standard plug- so it takes a battery but not a Boss-style adapter. No assumptions! ;)

6. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Thanks, Bongo. My rule of thumb still applies, because I didn't specifically say "boss-style adaptor" in the rule, nor did I claim that you could daisy-chain any combination of 9V pedals with total success :p

...but doesn't it feel good to be right? :D

7. You are right. I should have said that there was no indication of what voltage was required for the adapter. 9v battery is clearly stated. It's just that I have a spare adapter lying around, and have learnt from experience that I'm too lazy to set up a whole bunch of pedals, replace batteries etc. I'm much better at using a pre-setup pedalboard, with only a few cables and a power supply to plug in. I won't consider batteries to run effects any more.

Steve

8. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Ah, yep! [puffs out chest, pats self on back, smokes pipe, looks around condescendingly] ;)

9. I'll confirm all this too - I just hooked a PBDDI up tonight to a 9v 1Spot using their standard adapter, and it's great.

One extra tidbit - I emailed Tech21 to see if their pedals support higher supply voltages because my bass uses an 18v pre. They distinctly said don't bother because it is regulated internally back down to 9v anyway. Thought I might get some extra overdrive but alas...

10. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    For what it's worth, I've powered both a SansAmp GT2 and a BDDI using a Godlyke Power-All using the "standard" Boss-type connectors and never had a problem.

11. Hey, sorry.. that's off topic now,.. but I have just grabbed myself a Meat Box on Ebay and thought it would run off a standerd 9V adaptor. :crying:

Do you have one, if so.. what do you use to power the meat box or do you always do it with a battery?

thanks!
    Markus

12. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I don't have one anymore, but when I did, I used a Harmon (parent company of DOD and Digitech) 10V adapter. I found that it actually sounded noticeably better using the 10V adapter than it did using a battery. They had the proper adapter at Guitar Center.

13. Oh, thanks!
    Damn.. It's as good as impossible to find such an adaptor here, where I live. I asked the seller and he said, that he used it with 9 Volt adaptors without a problem. Do you think runnig it with 9 Volt adapors will damage it?

:meh:
    thanks

14. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    No, as long as the polarity is correct there will be no damage. It might sound slightly better with the correct voltage though.

15. high mileage

high mileage

Apr 17, 2006
    Rockford IL
    Check out the Godlyke power supply. It doesn't take up any room on the board, comes with a bunch of adapters (including reverse polarity) and can power a few/several effects depending on their power consumption. I used one with my programmable SansAmp and it worked great.

I changed to the Dunlop DC brick which supplies 9v and 18v (comes with a bunch of adapters too). Since I traded my SansAmp for a Fulltone Bassdrive, I wanted to run it at 18v - sounds much bigger this way. The DC brick takes up about as much room on the pedalboard as a small stompbox (MXR, etc).

16. sorry to bother you again :meh: , but..
    can you remember if it was center positive or negatvie?

thanks!

17. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I used to have a DOD Flanger.. same issue... that stupid dd 10V adapter..

I used the battery clip adapter on my Godlyke in place of the battery with no problems...

as for the original question, I use a Godlykeon my BDDI with no issues, at all...

18. sorry to bump this up again.. meat box's arrived.
    how does a battery clip adaptor work? I've never used one before

19. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    It has a connector on one end which looks just like the connector inside the fx box that you'd normally snap a battery onto. You just snap those two identical connectors together (matching male and female bits).