1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BDDI Power Supply question...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jake of Bass, Sep 9, 2008.

1. I currently use a BDDI and three Boss pedals (CEB-3, PH-3 and a DD-3). I normally run the Boss pedals on a power-chain with one power supply and the BDDI from an internal 9v battery.

My question is, can I run all the pedals on the one power supply safely? I can't find any info saying I can or can't, nor any information about the mA used by a BDDI. I've even rung the Bass Centre here in Australia and they don't know either, but said it should be fine.

What are the risks if I link up too many pedals?

Thanks in advance...

2. BDDI uses 100mA. It says in the manual. A 200+mA power supply should be sufficient.

The only risk is that reliability will become dodgy for as long as insufficient power is provided (and certain things like gain will not be as strong).

3. Yes.

Not surprising - I wouldn't trust a music store employee as far as I could kick them anyway, so...

If you exceed the mA rating of you power supply all of your effects will be starved of current and they just won't work as well as they should. You might notice the power supply getting warmer than normal.

4. Awesome, thanks for the replies, it's really helped me clear this one up.

The power supply has a rating of 1100 mA so I should be well in the clear to run those and more.

Thanks again!

5. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Yeah, you'll be more than fine running that. I run my programmable BDDI with a compressor, a distortion pedal, and a tuner, its never let me down.

6. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

The manual for the Sansamp Programmable Bass Driver DI states that it consumes approx 5ma.
    I have it as original hard copy and a .pdf
    I actually measured mine and got:
    3.75ma bypassed
    4.9 ma engaged

My Boss CE-2B draws 9-11ma, fluctuating with effect, engaged or bypassed makes no difference.
    The CE3 is listed by Boss as 18ma.

The Boss DD-3 is listed as 55ma, and the PH-3 at 47-50.5ma fluctuating with effect.

This makes your present chain draw about 129ma if the Boss stated values (and my math) are correct.
    :D

Also, if you are interested in this stuff, make sure to bookmark this page: the power list

7. So tonight I chained the four pedals up and when I got to the second last song I hit the delay (it's a quiet part just after the intro with me playing only harmonics whilst the band has stopped, and it sets the tempo for the song so it's pretty important) and the delay time was waaaaay slower than usual... I keep my Boss pedals in a hard Boss case, so the dials were exactly where it always is (I did check too). Could this have something to do with the power supply? Thing is I double checked and it definitely says 1100 mA on the back.

Thoughts?

8. Thanks for the above post too by the way.

Just as a side note, the SansAmp, chorus and phaser all sounded just like they should... I think I'd better have a proper sound check before going on tomorrow night to work this one out...

9. I wouldn't have thought so. But there are many factors that would impact on the electronics that set the delay time. I'd suggest that you could leave the knobs in position and test it twenty times in twenty day and you'd get twenty different delay times!

10. danster

danster

Jul 13, 2007
    Connecticut, USA
    I'm using a One Spot and powering a Sansamp programmable, a TU-2 tuner, a Aphex punch Factory, a Boss Chorus, and a Dano delay.
    Never added up the power requirements - but works ok...:)

11. Just an update.

I plugged it all in and it worked fine for the whole gig (I played in all three bands on the night) so it might just have been bumped without my knowledge during setup at the previous gig... there were a lot of people moving gear around the stage at that time.