1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BDDI v1 vs v2, any tonal difference?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BigEarl, Apr 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BigEarl

BigEarl

Sep 29, 2003
    Elgin, TX
    Been searching for any observations from folks who have owned both versions and whether there are any significant differences in time between the two (other than the obvious mid sweep and switchable frequencies.) I guess the best way to describe what I'm looking for is how the two, when set flat, sound different. TIA!

2. BigEarl

BigEarl

Sep 29, 2003
    Elgin, TX
    "Time" = "Tone" ...Stupid Android!

3. BigEarl

BigEarl

Sep 29, 2003
    Elgin, TX
    Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?

4. Forget BDDI v.1 vs. v.2...

Get yourself a VT Bass DI and be done with it. ;):D

5. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    There were couple threads on this a while back that had a ton of good information. I think one was call "New BDDI with Mids" or something like that. A search should get you to those 2 or 3 pretty threads quickly.

Quick answer to your question is that they are more different then I expected. Base/default voicing is less scooped (confirmed by Tech 21 - they took out one of the mid scooping filters that was in the original), the pot tapers seem improved in terms of smoother control and the presence control seems to be more polite throughout its range. Interestingly, on my 4 string basses I can't seem to notice a big difference (or any real difference) between the two bass control point settings. The two mid control point settings make a very obvious difference.

Some folks felt like if you were a fan of the bite and clank you could easily get in the original, this new version might sound warmer/smoother than you'd like. One comment that resonated with me was that this new version was the BDDI for people who really didn't like the voicing of the original version. One or two folks actually felt the new version was too bass heavy/overly focused on lows and low-mids, bordering on muddy.