1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BDI21+cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by la2l2alala, Aug 12, 2007.

1. la2l2alala

la2l2alala

Sep 9, 2006
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The pedal is not an amp, just a preamp. You'd still need a power amp to drive the cab. Sorry!

For reviews and discussion of the BDI, search on it over in the Effects forum. For an explanation of power amps, do some reading here in the Amps forum, as it gets explained frequently. :)

3. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
  4. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Well, yes, and.....the BDI21 is not really strong enough to drive a power amp very much. I was able to juuuust barely get by using the BDI21 into a QSC RMX1450. No way in the world it'd gig. Pick up one of those ART tube pre's for like $30 at MF, and you;re in business big time.

5. la2l2alala

la2l2alala

Sep 9, 2006
    This, you mean? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-Tube-MP-Studio-Mic-Preamp?sku=180581

6. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    yup

7. la2l2alala

la2l2alala

Sep 9, 2006
    Awesome! Thanks. :)
    How would all this sound, and why don't more people buy this instead of smaller combos?

8. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Lots of people do use separate preamps and power amps. It's extremely common, even. The only times people choose a combo amp instead are (a) they like the sound of their combo amp, (b) they don't like the extra cables and rack case needed to hook up a rig of separate components, or (c) they don't know about other options.

Edit: as to how it would sound, that is totally dependent on which components you bought, and how you used them. But I guess Tim is saying the ART tube pre sounds good, and I know I have liked the sound of other ART products, so it's worth trying for such a low price.

Also, remember that you'll still need a separate power amp.

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

(d) A combo is way more practical to carry around, is more reliable, cheaper and will sound much louder at equal power due to optimisation of components to each other.

10. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Geez, Jazz Ad, I usually agree with you, but not in this case. Not all combos are practical to carry around- many of them are bulky and awkward to carry, compared to a separate head and cab. Combos are certainly not any more reliable, and I don't even know where you got that idea. Combos may have components optimized to each other sometimes, but there is no guarantee of any such thing; and it is possible to optimize separate component choices, by doing a little homework, so it's not something only possible with combos. Cheaper... well, you've got me there. They are usually cheaper.