Be better, or in a big band?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Obsolex, May 14, 2003.

1. Be in a really big band, but not really show my talent...

12 vote(s)
  2. Be the greatest (one of), but not make it big at all...

6 vote(s)
  1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Just wondering, would you guys rather be in a (really good) big band, or be a REALLY good bass player (Victor W), but not be big? I would totally rather be in a big band... _-soto-_
  2. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    ^ What carrots were invented for.
  3. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I used to be in a big band.

5 trumpets, 4 'bones, 5 saxes, piano, bass, drums.

We did a lot of Ellington & Basie and the like, as well some more modern material.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I am in a fairly big band - 2 Saxes, 2 Trumpets, Trombone,Flute, 3 percussionists, Guitar, Piano, Singer and me!
  5. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK

But then, it is Latin music.
  6. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    moley and Bruce? Put away your cocks and the tape measures :p
    Don't think the boy meant 'big' as in literally - think he was shooting for the idea that whilst the bass player in say, Linkin Park might be incredible, he's not going to get much or any recognition because of the band's status and the attention placed on other members, etc. Guess it's just a question of how big your ego is, and aren't we all, as bassists, completely laid-back and uncaring of such matters? ;) Wherever the subharmonic wind takes us, you know, that kinda thing? :smug:
  7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    My band has close to 60 people in it!
  8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Tough poll.

I just want to play with the best musicians I possibly can, although I may suck in comparison to them.
  9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I've done a few big band gigs. I loved it. I would have been more fun if I was better on DB and my reading wasn't so rusty.

Too many years of studio charts I guess.

Any, I am not really in a band, but many of the guys I play with regularly are fairly big, including me.

I am 6'3" about 240 lbs. right now. I really need to get back to 225. The drummer is about the same. Maybe 260. Our pianist is even bigger.

10. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Honestly, my answer for right now is I would rather be in a big band. I do want to be a competant player, but my real love is performing more than playing.

Don't get me wrong, I love to play. But when I am playing in front of people... Now that's fun. And if I was in a big act, it would usually mean big shows.

BTW, Isn't it ironic that I have no time to post on TB due from home to my school... and then it gets quiet at my work leaving me with time to post while working? :rolleyes:
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The greatest thrill I get from music is creating a groove with bandmates I enjoy, and having others enjoy it too. If they're smiling and/or their butts are shakin' on the dancefloor, then our job is done... doesn't matter to me whether they're consciously listening to my lines or not.

Of course I try to improve my skills... if I sucked on bass, then nobody would be dancin' or smilin'. But I'd much prefer to be known as a groove player and team player than a chops player, so I rehearse accordingly.
  12. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    All kidding aside, I'd rather be in a big act.

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

All seriousness aside: it might be fun to live the decadent lifestyle of a big arena band for awhile, if for no other reason than to think of the crazy stuff to put on the rider: paisley towels, a football helmet full of M&M's with the green ones taken out, a PC LAN running Quake III Arena (to warm up the digits, doncha know)
  14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Refuse to choose. Do both. Being in a big band doesn't mean you can't improve your musicianship.
  15. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Yes, but the main question assumes that you will be held back by the band itself. It doesn't mean that you can't improve your skills. Just that you can't show them off during the bands shows.

Example... You are playing bass for The Strokes. They are going to be playing huge shows, but primarily prefer simple basslines.

Something like that...
  16. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I'm thinking it would be nice to just get enough fame to get good gigs, and make enough money to just drop a bunch in the bank and live off the interest or something. Kind of a halfway deal for me would be nice. It would be nice to have some of the things insanely famous bands have, but with the freedom and fanbase of a lesser known band.
  17. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK

I know exactly what Obsolex meant. "My band is bigger than yours" has nothing to do with it. I was being intentionally silly, and interpreting "big band" literally... y'know, big band refers to a particular kind of band, e.g. Miller, Ellington, and Basie's bands...
  18. I'd personally rather be one of the greats (The first one in this thread to say so :eek: ) I play the bass because I love to play music. If I could make the greatest music in the world and not be all too famous, That would be just fine with me. Peace.
  19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

13 people on a stage is big enough for me!! ;)
  20. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    You're too easy, bra. Get with it :D