be careful around saws (caution to the squeamish PICS)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Linas, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    So i got this sweet Jaco poster that is 28x40" and i wanted to frame it. Since a custom frame for this big poster will run over 200$ i decided to save some money and do it myself since i like projects like this. After i got the molding to make the frame, i called up my buddie and asked to use his chop saw since hes a carpenter, and he said sure but be really carefull because the chop saw doesnt have a guard on it. So i say yeah yah, ive got lots of experience with saws, which i do but not without guards. So after my last 45 degree cut to the molding with the saw slowing down in up position i went grab a piece of molding and moved my hand across the saw and it got me. So here i am not being able to play bass for a while, extrely lucky my fingers will be able to play after they heal. The saw ripped off 2 large portions of finger nail (extremely painful fretting, i already tried) and a one inch cut on the other finger down to the bone, only 3 stiches though.
    no bass playing for a while :crying:

anyone with similar stories?
  2. Phew... millimeters from having 7 fingers, man. I hope the recovery is fast.
  3. Nah, I've never tried to frame a Jaco poster.

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

The last year my house has been in the state of remodel, and perpetual dumpster in the drive. I have yet to mash a finger, and I'm using circular, table, and reciprocating saws, framing hammers, drywall knives, haulin' scrap all about, and electrical stuff.

Power tools, you gotta respect them.
  5. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    i know this is preaching to the converted but , your fingers should never be within 6 inches of any blade when a wooden push stick will do
  6. Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    you dont use push sticks with a chop saw. Your piece is stationary and the saw comes down on your piece. It sucks, i built houses for 2 years and never had an incident and was working with power saws on a regular basis. Next time, i will deffinitly not use a saw without a guard on it.
  7. that blows, ive been using power tools as long as i can remeber, never had a need for stitches, though ive nicked myself many times, most often thing i do is when using a belt sander ill sand the skin down on a finger or something dumb like that....

now with stationary blades, ive cut the living hell out of myself with straigh razors.

i worked at a panera bread co. and to get the cute little designs on the french bread you had to score it with a 2"x.5" razor, they came in despensers of 10 and i would usually just keep a despenser in my apron since we had to make the baguettes so night i was getting ready to shower after work, reached in my pocket and went to pull out my keys (i thought) it ended up being one of the razors sticking out of the despenser, went straight into my thumb on my left hand pretty much to the bone...never got any stitches though, just used butterfly bandages to hold it closed...the scar looks funny though, my thumbprint doesnt line up anymore. :p
  8. oh dear god that picture wanted to make me puke. Once when I was being filmed for a bmx video half my face was pretty much torn off. I sort of looked like the elephant man for two months. But your injury is much worse because it had to do with your fingers.
  9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    A miter/chop saw is one of the few tools where a guard rarely ever gets in the way- I wonder why he took it off? I've used my miter saws on an average of at least once or twice a week for seven years now and haven't had an accident.

I've almost gotten myself with my jigsaw a couple of times though. I've got a nice Bosch one, but the problem with it is that the trigger is almost the full length of the handle, so when you put your fingers in it to grip it, you can accidentally turn it on very easily. I have a drill that I tried grabbing too quickly while it was resting on my leg and I accidentally hit the trigger. Thank god I was wearing tough denim jeans- the bit caught the denim and it wrapped right around the bit and didn't even tear. If I'd been wearing pants as I usually do, it would have gone right through them.

A teacher of mine in college was ripping a board to make frames with his table saw (no guard) and his fingers got pulled in. He had a diagonal cut down one finger tip and a vertical cut up his middle finger that went through both sides of the finger down to almost the bottom of his fingernail in length.
  10. Oh yeah!

I have been there my bass playing, wood cutting, idiot savant brethren. :D

I too fell victim to the miter saw.

I just got my shiny new saw and was making some practice cuts on some scrap wood. The last piece was a tad short, wood just does that when you cut it. When I made my last compound cut the piece slipped up and my index finger and thumb bounced off the side of the blade. My finger got hit by the teeth of the blade ripping a chunk out of my finger and it sliced through my thumb nail.

I didn't play right away either, It took a while to heal because of the type of cut, I could not get stitches. There was simply a chunk of flesh missing from my finger. All I could do is keep them wrapped and soak them in peroxide (?) After a week or so I was thumping with my bandaged thumb and popping with my middle finger. [Monty Python] Just a flesh wound [/Monty Python]

Take care and next time borrow a better saw.
  11. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    All you guys that talk all this safty stuff, you are correct, but it only takes 1/2 second. I have been a carpenter for over 15 years. I have only been bit by a saw one time, but I have been so lucky so many times......I hate to say it, but you can only be luck so many times before you are not. Safty is very important, but just a piecs of wood bucking in a cut can leave you without fingers.

Hope you get better very fast!!!

*puts on flame suit*
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    As my daughter would say, "Smooooth."
  13. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Been there, done that. Almost lost the last inch of my right thumb to a table saw a bit over 2 years ago. I didn't have the guts to take pics of the carnage. I did loose the feeling in the tip of it (which took a while to get used to in my right hand position since I've lost the feeling right where my thumb sits on the edge of the pickup).

That Nail chunk missing looks PAINFULL!!!!
  14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Gnarly dude. You better leave that band-aid off for a bit and let that one finger dry out. It looks all mushy.

15. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    that made me think of this:

Really a cool innovation for those of us apt to lose digits! hehe
  16. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Last week a kid in Design Tech copped his finger off with a mechanical guilotine (like, one of those ones you press down with your foot).

He was just standing there with blood bubbling out of the left over half of his finger into a pool on the floor.

Wouldn't of being fun.
  17. Ow!!!! That looks very painful. It might suck now, but it could have been much worse. :eek:
  18. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

My grandfather has 1 full finger left... rest are either gone or half gone or non functioning...

Friend of my has 2 fingers cut off at almost base... he likes to showput his half of finger up to his nose so he really isn’t putting his finger up his nose but it looks like the whole finger is in there no matter what angle you look from...

Its fun... freaks people OUT! especially if he does it to some soccer mom..