1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

be careful around saws (caution to the squeamish PICS)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Linas, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    nasty cuts.

i almost got my finger stuck in a sander once... that would have been bad.

the piece of wood was too small, so it took the wood right out of my hands and propelled it acorss the room.

cool when it happened.

looking back in retrospect, could have been very bad

2. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I was shaving once and I cut myself and it really really hurt.

3. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I have never had an accident with a power tool but I have had accidents that made it difficult to play bass.
    One time I was changing a springloaded display case bulb and I stuck my left index finger into it. I went to the ER and got 3 stitches for my trouble. I had to play a gig that night so I wrapped my finger in duct tape and played on. The duct tape messed up my strings but the show went on.
    Another time I was playing softball and hit one into shallow right field. I thought I would stretch it into a double but the ball slowed down in the tall grass. As I was nearing second I knew I was going to get throw out so I held up on my slide and came down on my left hand wrong. I ended up breaking a bone in my hand and guess what. That's right I had a gig that night. Pain pills and beer got me through it OK.

Certainly not power tool stories but dangerous to a bass player.

4. The worst I saw didn't actually involve someone getting hurt. This was back in junior high, in the tech ed class. We had a drill press, and the kids were being idiots with it. One of the guys had put an undersize bit into it, and hadn't tightened down the chuck. Well, when he turned it on, the bit started wobbling around really badly, so the kid took a couple steps back. At that point, it let go, and the bit shot out and buried itself into the kids protective goggles. The bit stopped less than an inch from the kids eye. He stood there for a second ot 2, then fainted dead away.:D

Rock on
    Eric

5. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    I'm missing about 1/8th of an inch off my left index finger thanks to an incident with an Altendorf 7 horse sliding saw. I had to learn left hand technique all over again. A couple of months later, I sliced into the top of my right hand moving too fast on a chopsaw. About 7 years ago, I pushed my thumb into a table saw. And I don't even want to think about how many times I've slashed myself with chisels and razor knives, or shot a nailer through one of my fingers. You'd think a musician would be less clumsy, but not in my case.

There's a good reason why I stopped doing cabinet work and became an electrician. Now, the only thing hitting my hands are sharp edges from steel studs and the occasional 120 volt wake-up call ;)

6. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005

dude, thanks for making choke on my salad. that was funny.

7. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    one time i went over to my guitarists house to help him move equipment but he wasnt home yet. his wife told me to hang out but shee had to leave so i just went down to his rehearsal room [basement] to get some playing in before he got there. i went downstairs, and there it was......THE POWERSHOT. for those of you who dont know what that is, it is a tool that you put a .22caliber charge in, a nail and then you hit it with a hammer to drive the nail into concrete, cement whatever. no one was around so since i know that i am not allowed to play with this.......i found a 2x4 and went to work. i didnt here him come in and he was standing behind me, tappin his foot as i put the 20th nail in this board, like i knew they would go through the floor also. jeeze, if you dont want me playing with something like that, dont leave it out. WHAT LIKE THIS IS MY FAULT?!?!?!? no one got hurt. the board is still there.

8. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    A fool and his fingers are soon parted! for the love of crimeny be carefull everyone! we don't need to lose another talented bassist to "the saw"

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    unbelievable!!! that is the coolest thing i have ever seen!

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I hope you can pick your nose with your other hand.

11. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    UPDATE: As a matter of fact, i have been playing bass like normal for the past 2 days without pain. My hand is bassically good as new with a bunch of nasty scabs on it.

12. I've had more problems with poorly designed "guards" than anything else on a table saw. Before guards were mandatory on these, there was a definite set of rules that were followed to maintain safety. And those that followed them, carried all of the digits away with them - attached! A saw, in and of itself, will NOT cut off your fingers - YOU will cut off your fingers using the saw. Know and understand the difference.

13. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    HA! that's nothing dude. Consider yourself very very lucky. Chop saws can be a beast on the digits. Well all saws but you hear a lot about chop saws and table saws since they are such an easy tools to use. While working as a trim carpenter I was cutting a little 7 degree angle on some base with a cordless circular saw and the piece of crap blade guard locked up, the saw jumped and went right over my thumb. Luckily it just barely went into the bone and nothing to serious happened. Now my thumb is kinda pointy now though.

14. NOW THAT'S IMPRESSIVELY FAST!!!

15. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    gross.

Reminded me of the wall when the guy shaves off all his hair, cuts his face and becomes a nazi. Don't know why.

16. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO

That is quite the invention. Every shop class in probably every school will have one of those eventually. Especially if the tax payers are paying for it.

Oh yeah and sorry 'bout your fingers, bro. :spit: Been there, done that. :rollno:

AuG

17. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

Actually, I'd say he was REALLY lucky.

I've severed the tendon of my left middle finger with a cut from a broken piece of ceramic plate. it cut right through the back of the finger directly above the knuckle closest to the end. It didn't heal properly, and there is a slight bend in that finger. Also put that same hand through a mirror, and damaged the nerves running to my pinky.

oh also cut a nerve in my right thumb, being a stupid kid. also jammed my right hand moving a couch into a hallway. right at the elevator there was an metal ashtray/box mounted to the wall... we (my gf and I, which means mostly me), levered the couch upwards so that it would fit into the elevator, and doing so, my hand was gashed open from being jammed.

18. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Please tell me the poster is okay!

Just half kidding. Hope you heal okay...