1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BE CAREFULL - Lots of Fake Shure's Still Out There

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nate74, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Despite the best efforts of companies like Shure (and others) the floodgates of fake mics are still wide open. A friend of mine just got one off ebay that was sold as "Authentic Shure - Export Model." It is 100% FAKE. He contacted the seller who said that Shure makes several "versions" of the Beta mic, some are for export and may not look like the US version. Total BS.

I took some photos of the mic my friend bought and some photos of a real one I got at Sam Ash a few months ago. Pretty easy to tell really.

Shure_shield_real.
    REAL Shure Name Plate

Shure_shield_fake.
    Fake Name Plate

Shure_capsule_real.
    REAL Shure Capsule

Shure_capsule_fake.
    Fake Capsule

Shure_capsule1_real.
    Real Shure Capsule Top

Shure_capsule1_fake.
    Fake Capsule Top

Also, the weight of the fake is noticeably less than the weight of the real Shure product.

I know there are several tutorials online about this and my info is probably not new to most of you, but I feel bad for people who spend their hard earned money and end up with crap. BTW, this mic sounds horrible and will probably break within weeks. In my buddy's case, the seller has agreed to refund his money so he's OK, but please do be careful.

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I had no idea fake mics were an issue. Might want to post this under Live Sound?

3. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    It happens.

4. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Oh! No

Best thing to do is never buy a shure 58, real or fake.

problem solved.

5. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    SM57s?

6. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Friend of mine got burned on a 57 from Ebay. It sounds like crapola, too. Unusable.

7. Scotch(I already suggested waffles in the last non-OT thread that got started in OT). ;)

8. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Waffles & Scotch?

9. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I am very surprised at this, but this is why I avoid eBay for the most part.

Who knew...fake mics?

10. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Software, toys, bass guitars, even pet food is being faked these days. Caveat emptor is as valid today as it ever was.

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    That's not even a GOOD fake.

I have a couple spurious 58's that I keep around as backups and 'lenders' that I bought super cheap on Amazon. They at least looked the part, but don't weigh as much as the originals and have a couple small defining differences. They don't sound awful, but definitely not the real thing.

12. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    No kiddin!

13. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    JJ58.

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

I can tell that's fake...look how pixelated the Shure logo is...

15. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Neumann.

16. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    I bought a bunch of them off Deal Extreme, paid $20 a piece shipped.

They don't compare to the real thing, but they're an excellent microphone for $20 imo, considering and SM57 retails for about $149 here.

They are almost identical to the real thing at first glance, right down to all the packaging. They come in the same box, all the paperwork including the product registration forms with the correct addresses on there, they even say "Made in Mexico" on them. If anybody has an questions about them I'd be happy to post pictures etc.

I didn't realise they were fakes on the website actually, I just thought they were copies or knockoffs of the same mic, but on arrival its pretty clear they are intended as a fake.

Could probably do well out of flipping them on Ebay if I had less of a conscience :D

17. Don't take this the wrong way- but I'm confused; fake, copy, knockoff... what would be the difference?

18. Yes. I like waffles; haven't acquired a taste for Scotch. But Waffles and Scotch- what's not to like? :)

19. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    An SX bass or similar is what I'd call a knockoff or a copy, like those old Ibanez copies of Fenders and Rics. They're obviously a copy of the same product, but they don't try to pass off as the actual thing because they still say "Ibanez" or similar on the headstock.

Wheras these mics are what I'd call fakes. They are made to pass off as the original right down to the brand name, the labels, even the packaging and the paperwork.

20. Very good- thank you. :)