BE D10BX-D or CxL-112s or Low B-2s ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lo-freq, Jan 20, 2003.

1. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I have never heard any of these three cabs (Bag End D10BX-D, EA CxL-112, or Acme Low B-2).

I currently have a EB MM StingRay5 bass and a Nemesis NC-210P combo amp. I play a wide variety of music.

Looking to purchase probably a SansAmp RBI into a QSC PLXnn02 (whatever power I need based on cab efficiency) and probably an EBS MultiComp.

I would like to be able to play in a medium-sized club with a loud band and not have to necessarily depend on going through a PA.

I value portability, but if one BE can cut better than two B-2s, that is also something to consider.

My question is mainly to any of you who have experience with any of the above cabs and preferably experience with two (or more) of the above cabs (similar racks would help too) (maybe I'm asking for too much):
    "What general advice can you give including positives/negatives/whatever based on your experiences with these cabs?"
  2. I have been using Acme Low-B2 cabs for a couple of years now. I play mainly in a 1500 seat church. The band consists of 2 electric guitars, 1 acoustic, 1 keyboard, 1 piano, drummer, percussion and horn section. There could be as few as 5 singers or as many as 25 when we use a choir. The music we do is contemporary Christian rock with jazz thrown in before the service. We have never been asked to turn up. ;)

Although I now have PA support, I have played in that church without PA support using my Acmes and did not have a problem being heard. When I have PA, I use one of the cabs on stage as a monitor, with the other cab miked in the back, so I have 2 lines to the board – miked cab and direct.

I love the Acme sound, but I would not advise using one cab, as I just don’t think you would be satisfied with your volume. I’ve used my 2-cab system at outdoor concerts without any volume problems. I also use a QSC PLX 2402 amp and a Kern preamp. It is a very round, smooth and punchy sound that cuts thru very well.

Hope this helps!
  3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Yeah, thanks. That's the type of input I'm looking for.

Based on what I've heard so far (this and other websites and other musicians), if I go Acme, I will try and get two 8 Ohm B-2s (probably with a bridged PLX2402 and just use one B-2 For Smaller Gigs) ; if I go with EA, probably two CxL-112s (probably with a bridged PLX1602--one EA FSG); if I go with BE, probably just one D10BX-D (probably with a bridged PLX1202).

Anybody got experience with the CxL-112 and the D10BX-D?